Manifolds and risers

Notices
Formula

Manifolds and risers

Old 02-26-2015, 10:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 84 Formula 272
No speed gain at all? i was thinking about putting some new exhaust on my sb 350's for looks and weight and a few mph!!!
Nothing, stock exhaust on small blocks is not that restrictive.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:28 AM
Registered

Jay your Inbox is full...
Old 02-28-2015, 06:42 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
Did you block off the prop exhaust like I did with the IMCO. If you did I then removed the pinwheel baffels in the tip as I thought I had too much back pressure. Made it loud as hell though.

No. It has been blocked off since day 1. Was silent thunder but that has been removed 1 week after I bougjt it.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:46 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I will say this about STOCK OEM exhaust manifolds and risers. The dry joint exhaust is designed around for preventing internal water leaks and help aid against water reversion. Really nothing performance enhancing about it along with most of the look alike aftermarket exhaust manifolds & risers either. Saving weight is your best bet with the stock small blocks especially using the OEM designed or aftermarket copies exhaust manifolds / risers.

Here is the deal with smallblock stock exhaust is, did you know that it uses the same exhaust riser & riser gasket and the exhaust manifold opening is all the same from stock V-6 OEM Mercruiser engines. The exact same. You can draw your own conclusions from that.

Also on a stock V- 6 app you are better off leaving the exhaust thru the prop than straight thru the hull - the prop spinning helps pulls / scavenges the exhaust out especially at full throttle running.

Last edited by BUP; 03-02-2015 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Empty now Split......
Old 03-03-2015, 01:54 PM
Registered

PM sent Jay
Old 03-03-2015, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
I will say this about STOCK OEM exhaust manifolds and risers. The dry joint exhaust is designed around for preventing internal water leaks and help aid against water reversion. Really nothing performance enhancing about it along with most of the look alike aftermarket exhaust manifolds & risers either. Saving weight is your best bet with the stock small blocks especially using the OEM designed or aftermarket copies exhaust manifolds / risers.

Here is the deal with smallblock stock exhaust is, did you know that it uses the same exhaust riser & riser gasket and the exhaust manifold opening is all the same from stock V-6 OEM Mercruiser engines. The exact same. You can draw your own conclusions from that.

Also on a stock V- 6 app you are better off leaving the exhaust thru the prop than straight thru the hull - the prop spinning helps pulls / scavenges the exhaust out especially at full throttle running.
Bup, so are you saying the stock sbc exhaust is restrictive because the riser is the same as a v6? Just curious, I changed riser gaskets on a bbc this summer and they look to be the same as a small block so if that's the case the 454/502s must really be restrictive
Old 03-05-2015, 08:46 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

The stock exhaust systems are worthless for making power plus are very heavy, the OEM main concerns is internal water leaks and proper height to help avoid water reversion with their exhaust manifold & riser design. Also another main concern is heating and cooling that forms condensation on the internal walls of the risers and exhaust manifolds that will leak down into the cylinders especially after shut down & very humid days.

The newer style stock DRY JOINT exhaust manifold & riser then add in the small riser gasket plate (turbulator) makes for another restriction, also the riser is more of an L design rather than a smoother radius flowing design .

Like I said the V-6 uses the same riser gasket plate and the same riser as the all the smallblock V-8's.. That's the 5.0 the 5.7 the 6.2 (377) and the Merc reman 383 6.3L. Again you can draw your own conclusions as all the small blocks using the same as the V-6 for the past 13 years - Stock OEM Mercruiser.

The stock exhaust manifolds really needs more & longer runner dams internally for each cylinder to help aid in a better exhaust scavenging effect instead of the exhaust bouncing around trying to find its own way to exit.

Last edited by BUP; 03-05-2015 at 08:50 PM.