Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
Thinking about moving up to a 292 from a 22ft checkmate have a few ??? >

Thinking about moving up to a 292 from a 22ft checkmate have a few ???

Notices
Formula

Thinking about moving up to a 292 from a 22ft checkmate have a few ???

Old 05-14-2015, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 88242LS
Why?
Purchased a new toy.....
Old 05-14-2015, 05:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by badmonkey
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...tech-102106513

This boat is for sale from dealer...seller is motivated and is close friends of gentlemen I bought mine from. This might be a good take if your looking to trade to a dealer??? Just a thought. Wannna see you get into that Formula quickly so I have another running buddy in Pasadena.

Chris.
Where about in Pasadena do you go out of? My boat is at the Atlantic marina on the Magothy. I am out usually every weekend at least once for the entire day.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 493 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by RGPIII
Where about in Pasadena do you go out of? My boat is at the Atlantic marina on the Magothy. I am out usually every weekend at least once for the entire day.
Clear your PM inbox, I'm headed out of town for the weekend will contact you when I get back.

Chris
Old 05-15-2015, 06:07 PM
Registered

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

hoping to get her sold so i can be in a pretty 292 soon.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

That Checkmate is clean! Nice colors too. You should have no problem selling. Are you the original owner?

Good luck on your 292 search. You will really like the control around the docks with twin engines. The midrange acceleration compared to what you are used to with that single 350 will be a nice improvement too.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:18 PM
Registered

I am the third owner, I have the receipts from every service done on it from day one. I bought it with 170 hours on it. second owner only had it one season.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:09 PM
Registered

For what its worth I travel across 30 miles of open water to Pelee Island on lake Erie almost every weekend. I had an 03-292 twin 377's. I sold it two years ago and found the 271 Fastech with 502 works better for me. Both had standard Bennets. The 271 stayed on plane better at slower speeds in the short Lake Erie chop. Sounds crazy but I would not go back to 292. Check out 271 or jump to a 312 Fastech. Just my 2 cents
Old 05-17-2015, 09:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by oh6662b
For what its worth I travel across 30 miles of open water to Pelee Island on lake Erie almost every weekend. I had an 03-292 twin 377's. I sold it two years ago and found the 271 Fastech with 502 works better for me. Both had standard Bennets. The 271 stayed on plane better at slower speeds in the short Lake Erie chop. Sounds crazy but I would not go back to 292. Check out 271 or jump to a 312 Fastech. Just my 2 cents
I don't want to be making the wrong choice here. I boat mainly in the Chesapeake bay. I'm looking for something that will handle the bay better than my Checkmate as well at allowing me to make longer runs and be comfortable. Most of my trips are day trips, but i do stay on my boat from time to time. I'm not able t cruise slower than 30 mph right now with the Checkmate without falling off plane. Are there planning issues with the 292? if so how would moving to the 312 make that any better?
Old 05-18-2015, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't call them issues, but if you search you'll find many threads on it. Each owner will have a different technique but it takes some seat time to get it down right but you definitely have to finesse it a bit. Some believe it's the tabs, others think it's propped wrong with the 28s, many recommend dropping down to 26s, some will say it's both. I didn't upgrade to the k-planes but I was able to find a pair of bigger Bennett plates, I believe they are 12x16 instead of the stock 12x12s. I only got to boat with them for a week when I took the boat down to Florida for vacation this past December, but I was able to stay on plane at 30mph and just below in some boat traffic, something I couldn't do before with the 12x12 plates. So I definitely feel that was an improvement with the bigger trim plates. I would like to try a set of 26s to see if there is any difference getting out of the hole. Don't care if I lose top end, 4700 is where I pretty much max out on RPM wise on the rare occasion I ever decide to open her up to let her breathe a bit. So I believe I can accommodate the RPM increase with dropping down in pitch.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RGPIII
I don't want to be making the wrong choice here. I boat mainly in the Chesapeake bay. I'm looking for something that will handle the bay better than my Checkmate as well at allowing me to make longer runs and be comfortable. Most of my trips are day trips, but i do stay on my boat from time to time. I'm not able t cruise slower than 30 mph right now with the Checkmate without falling off plane. Are there planning issues with the 292? if so how would moving to the 312 make that any better?
My 292 with labbed 28" pitch Bravo's, tabs all the way up and drives neutral will hold a good plane at 36 mph. Slower than that and she will want to start to fall. No big deal.

Now with the K-Planes down a bit and drives tucked, I can pull my kid tubing at 27 mph.

I like having the twin engines and counter rotating props. Most of my 'cruising' is 50+ mph over mixed water = fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.