Picking up a 1992 271 SR1 Friday

Notices
Formula

Picking up a 1992 271 SR1 Friday

Old 08-12-2015, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picking up a 1992 271 SR1 Friday

Hey everyone, first post here but have been looking around for a while. I use to have a 28' Topaz but this is new territory for me.

I'm picking the boat up to bring it for a sea trail (long story on why I'm picking it up) but already looked at it last weekend. If it goes well it stays. Is there anything specific I should look for as far as problem areas or rot? It has a 502 with a quadrajet, bravo one drive (not sure of the ratio) and believe it was a 21 pitch prop. What should I expect to see as a cruise speed and top speed on this? I was thinking high 40's cruise and maybe 55 top?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:52 PM
Registered

Should be a modest assumption but those sometimes are the best to have when looking at performance.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WilmFireboatCapt
Hey everyone, first post here but have been looking around for a while. I use to have a 28' Topaz but this is new territory for me.

I'm picking the boat up to bring it for a sea trail (long story on why I'm picking it up) but already looked at it last weekend. If it goes well it stays. Is there anything specific I should look for as far as problem areas or rot? It has a 502 with a quadrajet, bravo one drive (not sure of the ratio) and believe it was a 21 pitch prop. What should I expect to see as a cruise speed and top speed on this? I was thinking high 40's cruise and maybe 55 top?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
great boat pretty much will handle any water, even big water with comfort, no I don't mean u can run hard just never unsafe, sweet spot around 3800 rpm cuts throu very well, kinda slow outta the hole with 4 asults and full tank, but not as bad as everyone says, I had a tired 502 and it ran 58mph, if it has the fuel pump/sea pump combo change that oil right away and frequently, anymore questions just ask,
Old 08-13-2015, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fresh water or salt ? Check the transom and main stringer ,bulkhead in front of the engine and the bulkhead under the cabin door for moisture.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:14 PM
Registered

Congrats!! I have a 1992 271 SR1 w/ 502 mag bravo drive and a 23 pitch prop. I talked with Formula a week or so ago about the prop and the 23P Mercury Mirage Plus is what came on it from the factory. I was told 61-63MPH for a top speed, best I have seen so far was 57 on GPS with full tank of fuel (still messing with it for the 63). It is a little sluggish out of the hole but not horrible. So far I've been very happy with its performance
Old 08-13-2015, 11:01 PM
Registered

Thanks for the replies. I'm going in the morning to get it. I'll post some pics once I get it cleaned up a bit.