questions on out of state purchase - Fastech

Notices
Formula

questions on out of state purchase - Fastech

Old 08-14-2015, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

NICE!!!!!!
did you do a survey? if so, what were some of the things covered in the survey?
Old 08-15-2015, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a boat from out of state and it took almost a month to get the title (some states have the banks hold titles ). In the end everything went well but it is a bit of a pain
Old 08-15-2015, 02:58 PM
Registered

Yea I can see how that could be a pain. Did you do a survey and if so, how did you coordinate it with the surveyor. Were you present during the inspection? Or did you just have him send you the report and explain?
What was covered in the survey?
Old 08-15-2015, 05:28 PM
Registered

No survey, talked to the guy on the phone, seemed honest and knowledgeable, drove six hours and checked it out myself
Old 08-15-2015, 09:28 PM
Registered

I did similar with my last boat except it was not out of state and had no issues. I'm curious what value a survey holds?
Would like to hear from those that did a survey.
Do the do a leak down test?
Compression test?
Check moister in transom?
Inlet water hose on drive?
Stringers ?
Etc
And after boat is purchased if they are wrong with inspection are there any garentee, probably not?
Old 08-15-2015, 09:38 PM
Registered

I have owned many boats over twenty years, I know what to look for. No I don't have a moisture meter, but I have a fist and that has been good enough for me so far lol.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did not get a survey on the boat I am purchasing. It's super hot roddy so it kinda is what it is. Low hours boat and looks really clean in pictures.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:01 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Don't let distance stop you from buying the right boat.

If you're working with a broker, ask for a personal opinion and masses of new photos then go for the survey. If you're dealing direct with the owner, NEW photos are your best help, people selling a boat will always exaggerate the condition of their pride and joy so photos of all the BAD things are essential. If a member here is nearby and can drop past even for a quick look it would be great.

Don't just look at the pics, look at the owner, his house, his car, his family and everything you can see. I know it's prejudice to do so but from my experience, a guy who keeps his car nicely and his house and family are all in order generally keeps his boat well too.

I have bought my last two boats out of Florida and exported them to Thailand and I did not even go to the U.S. I had the same broker both times and everything went very well. Latest one I didn't even survey, when I heard the story about the seller and his boating experience, I made an offer without even Starting an engine. Sometimes the story behind the owner is enough to sell the boat itself.

The older the boat, the harder it is to buy sight unseen but never ever overlook a boat because "It's too far away" as this just ain't true!!!!

Common sense, a bit of due diligence and you'll be boating very soon...

RR.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just bought my fourth Formula and every one has come from out of state purchases. Research, survey, beat the bushes for who knows the boat and look at it yourself then you can be in a position to make an offer, Definitely get the trailer and boat on separate BOS, bill of sale. Some states are title states and some are not. USCG documentation is another way to do paper for states that are not title states.
Go with the 353. If you don't you will sell the 312 later and then go with the 353 so just do it now if you can.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:41 AM
Registered

All good advice

I have a nice 2005 353 but more then you want to spend but you will love the 353....

Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.