Formula 353 is tippy?

Notices
Formula

Formula 353 is tippy?

Old 08-23-2015, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Formula 353 is tippy?

Anyone else notice on a 353 that when the wind is from the side it really affects the level of the boat? I use the trim tabs of course but using the one side will only level for a second then can go the other way... Just wondering if there is something else I should be doing in these situations? Use both tabs on done a little more?
Old 08-23-2015, 08:42 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Year of boat and drivetrain info?
Old 08-23-2015, 08:44 PM
Registered

98 353 fastech with 525SC's. Bravo drives with labbed and cupped 28 pitch props
Old 08-23-2015, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 292 used to do this, I bought a Fountain.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

You can help correct it with drive height also by trimming down one of the drives depending on which side the wind is coming from.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

When you drive a narrow beam boat with a long bow in a cross wind, you have to steer into that cross wind in order to go straight. Even though you are going straight, you have the wheel turned a bit as if you are making a turn, and the boat will lean into the way you are turned. The stronger the cross wind, the more you turn and therefore lean. Can be compensated with a tab or as mentioned trim.

I don't think the brand of boat really matters. They all have bows with a hull side surface area for which the wind can exert a force on...

Edit: I just re-read the post, and see you are actually tipping the other way. I haven't experienced that before....
Old 08-24-2015, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Every fastec I've ran does that. Reason I don't like them
Old 08-24-2015, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

no issues here any more than with any other. on the nose or slightly quartering is the worst for keeping level attitude. relatively big hull forward and tab sensitive V keel. moving the tabs too much at a time... there is an art to just barely engaging the rocker for incremental movement. sometimes the pin doesn't even make an obvious move but the effect is there. fountain just doesn't have the forward hullside billboard and is a pad keel, of course it's gonna need less attention in the wind
speed also has an effect sometimes just a few mph gets the boat momentum somewhat beyond the wind's effect
learn the hull. experiment there are sweet spots like any other hull. contrary to what some say non of them drive themselves at all speeds in all conditions.

Last edited by Rippem; 08-24-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

292, 353, 382 and my 419 same like same in the conditions mentioned. As has been mentioned the wind and the drives are against each other and the steps are preventing a water drag that would help the drives to win this fight. My long bow on this 419 catches a lot of wind and coming back from PIB we were fighting the same battle.
It will take seat/drive time, experience and multiple situations to get a feel of how you can optimize the hull in cross winds and choppy rough water.
Best of luck and keep driving because it is not unique to a 353 FASTech and getting a Fountain is not a cure.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:34 PM
Registered

thanks all, I won't be selling my Formula anytime soon... Love the boat and this is a minor learning curve. Thank you for the ideas. I will make sure to try these out. I have not thought of actually setting the drives different and will experiment. This is my first year with it and have only been on rough conditions twice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.