New Formula Owner, 1991 242 SS

Notices
Formula

New Formula Owner, 1991 242 SS

Old 09-20-2015, 08:53 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So all the SR1 models have the engine bay completely surrounded with fiberglass?

I know it's tight with everything assembled in mine but it's nice to know that it just takes 15 minutes of disassembly for it to be wide open.

Is the cockpit area the same actual dimensions on a 272 SR1 as it is on my 242 SS? Looking at pictures it's hard to tell, it looks like there's more room for passengers to move around in mine.

Really I'm just having bad thoughts as I work on this boat. Lol. I really like the look of the longer bow on the 272 and the four person cabin seems appealing also. There's a couple around here for relatively little money. I was just disappointed that it would be tighter to work on. I don't fit in small places as easy as I used to. Lol.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

I don't know about 15 min and wide open. With Stainless Marine exhaust it takes me over an hour to change plugs and that is laying over the motor working upside down.
Don't even try to change a starter.
My last boat was 2 272LS and I can say that the 242SS has much larger cockpit. I put a bolster for helm in 242sSS and now the cockpit looks like it is out of a 30-32 footer.
If only the bow was 5' longer.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:50 PM
Registered
Gold Member

It only takes a few minutes to pull the engine bay cover/rear seat assembly and another few minutes to remove the plexiglass sliders and cross member and the floor is wide open to lay down on or move around freely on. Worth the time for major repairs for sure.

The SR1 looks like it's surrounded by glass so removing the rear seat wouldn't give you any more engine bay access. Is that correct?
Old 09-20-2015, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

rbpowered, yea I know what you are saying, but, when the motor is installed it sits so low in relationship to the floor height the top of the exhaust manifolds are about level with the floors and they (manifolds) stick out all the way past the stringers on the sides. You cannot get your hands below the stringers on either side.
If you send me your email I will send pics so you can see what I mean. I am small statured and I cannot get down there to work on it.
Good luck.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by GLENAMY 242SS
rbpowered, yea I know what you are saying, but, when the motor is installed it sits so low in relationship to the floor height the top of the exhaust manifolds are about level with the floors and they (manifolds) stick out all the way past the stringers on the sides. You cannot get your hands below the stringers on either side.
If you send me your email I will send pics so you can see what I mean. I am small statured and I cannot get down there to work on it.
Good luck.
Exactly.

On the single engine 242 LS, working on the engine is pretty easy. Even with the supercharger and all I can get underneath the engine from either side. If I pull the batteries (and the hold-down bolt from after portion of the trays), I can sit down inside the bilge and get to everything. I know this all too well since I'm redoing my oil cooling set-up that needed be changed out in order to work with my relocated alternator and power steering that needed to be changed in order to fit my exhaust (pain in the a$$).

I'll be out in the boat a little later mocking up some stuff. I'll grab some pictures.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:23 PM
Registered

All the older SR1 models are surrounded with glass. Working on a big block 272 will have you standing on your head. A 292 is not much better- maybe 18 or so inches in the front of the engines and minimal side clearance. 311's actually have enough room to sit in front of the engines and work.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:49 PM
Registered
Gold Member

You say all the "older SR1 models" are surrounded, what year did that stop?
Old 09-20-2015, 08:34 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by GLENAMY 242SS
If you send me your email I will send pics so you can see what I mean.
Thanks for the pics. Nice engine bay!

I love the bolster seat. I've been looking for a pair but even one looks great. If you know where to find one (or two) let me know.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great boat. I have both the SS and LS. The LS has a cockpit configuration like all other SR1 boats where there is not much room for moving around. The 242SS is built like all the Sun Sports where the cockpit has a LOT of room for people and moving around. I like all that space in the SS cockpit but the room is lost from the cabin.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:56 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by aquaforce
Great boat. I have both the SS and LS. The LS has a cockpit configuration like all other SR1 boats where there is not much room for moving around. The 242SS is built like all the Sun Sports where the cockpit has a LOT of room for people and moving around. I like all that space in the SS cockpit but the room is lost from the cabin.
Thanks for that info. I just spent some time looking through pics of each model and I see the difference. I wouldn't trade the cockpit room of the SS for the extra cabin room of the LS.

So what older model (ie affordable) has at least as much cockpit room as the 242 SS but with more cabin room and more engine bay access?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.