Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
Precautions to prevent water ingestion or reversion after Silent Thunder Mods? >

Precautions to prevent water ingestion or reversion after Silent Thunder Mods?

Notices
Formula

Precautions to prevent water ingestion or reversion after Silent Thunder Mods?

Old 09-18-2015, 09:52 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

My engine builder said I had reversion due to the water backing up the risers on pull out. Since then I have changed from low risers to the newer high risers. I leave the boat running until all winched up and secure. then shut it off, and pull out as soon as possible.
Attached Thumbnails Precautions to prevent water ingestion or reversion after Silent Thunder Mods?-home-build-033rs.jpg   Precautions to prevent water ingestion or reversion after Silent Thunder Mods?-045.jpg  
Old 09-18-2015, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your thought process of leaving it running until winched and secure because the pressure from the exhaust will force any ingestion of water out instead of letting it in?
Old 09-18-2015, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by splitdecision271
you scare me!!!!
booooo!!!!
Old 09-18-2015, 11:55 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Splitdecision271
Is your thought process of leaving it running until winched and secure because the pressure from the exhaust will force any ingestion of water out instead of letting it in?
Yes. Good or bad?
Old 09-18-2015, 05:00 PM
Registered

If it works for you then good. I personally don't want to run the risk of sucking water back in should I have an exhaust valve chipped or not seating properly and the exhaust submerged. Everyone is going to have their ways and opinions for doing things. No one way is the right way, it comes down to whatever works for you is the right way.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

97FASTech - sweet engine bay! I like those risers. What brand are they?

As far as running until winched up and secure - that is what I do when retrieving my Donzi - usually in gear to keep the bow against the roller. But I think those thru-hulls are a bit higher above the water than the Formula, so I get a real uneasy feeling when I load the 292.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:06 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Br1dgemann
97FASTech - sweet engine bay! I like those risers. What brand are they?
They are stock Gil "High" Risers. These were the fix to reversion on a lot Merc motors that had the "Low" (pic on right)risers.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:07 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

If it works for you then good. I personally don't want to run the risk of sucking water back in should I have an exhaust valve chipped or not seating properly and the exhaust submerged. Everyone is going to have their ways and opinions for doing things. No one way is the right way, it comes down to whatever works for you is the right way.
I see your point!!
Old 09-21-2015, 07:45 AM
Registered

I chipped an exhaust valve last season on the starboard motor. Mechanic said I showed some signs of water being pulled back in but nothing that was of much concern to him. Cylinder walls and piston were spotless, so just needed to rebuild the heads. Ever since then it's just something there in the back of my mind.

The ramp I use is also in the center of the marina, so as a courtesy to my fellow mariners I usually hit the silent choice so not to be a nuisance or interfere with casual conversation to those with slips next to the ramp. I had a gentlemen, in a slip next to the ramp, this weekend tell me that I should make a video of how to launch and retrieve a boat and somehow have it play in repeat at the ramp for others to watch.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I chipped an exhaust valve last season on the starboard motor. Mechanic said I showed some signs of water being pulled back in but nothing that was of much concern to him. Cylinder walls and piston were spotless, so just needed to rebuild the heads. Ever since then it's just something there in the back of my mind.

The ramp I use is also in the center of the marina, so as a courtesy to my fellow mariners I usually hit the silent choice so not to be a nuisance or interfere with casual conversation to those with slips next to the ramp. I had a gentlemen, in a slip next to the ramp, this weekend tell me that I should make a video of how to launch and retrieve a boat and somehow have it play in repeat at the ramp for others to watch.
Nice! I have had people comment on my ability to efficiently launch and retrieve any of my vessels alone. Usually people who think they are being helpful slow me down or hinder the process.

I hydro locked a motor once..... several push rods looked like S-curves. It was wounded bad..... hence my concerns with water ingestion...