Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
Generator dies when running on plane about 40mph; Why???? >

Generator dies when running on plane about 40mph; Why????

Notices
Formula

Generator dies when running on plane about 40mph; Why????

Old 11-16-2015, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

My 7K Kohler in the 350SS had a small LED read out on it and would throw a code when it stopped abnormally. I think it would read LOC (lack of cooling or coolant) when it would not get the proper water flow, which happened all the time if I tried to run it over about 25-30mph, especially if the water was a little rough. I finally stopped using it if I was going to run on plane. I would think it would be hard to keep the correct water flow on a stepped bottom boat even with a cupped pickup.

On the fuel topic, at least in the 350SS, the fuel pickup for the generator was set higher in the gas tank so that you could not run yourself out of fuel anchored out for a night with the gen running.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:24 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I just don't see that brass through hull being designed for running on plane. Maybe idling, or when sitting on the hook in a current.

I would definitely replace the pickup though if it has broken bars. If it goes back to working when on plane, let her continue to rip.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same pickup on my 94 419 fastec. If I remember correctly, it is mounted downstream of one of the steps. I rarely used mine on plane, so I can't remember if it periodically shut off or not. If after you replace that scupper, it doesn't work, I would look into a transom mounted pick-up that is adjustable in height. You can then tune it to accept water at any speed. The bypass plumbing should insure there is sufficient water for the impeller to draw from without pressurizing it. I have a similar system on my 38 EC (uses a transom pick-up that serves one engine and the generator and the other transom pick-up serves the engine and the a/c unit) that works great at any speed. Fountain routes both the transom pick-up and bravo drive water inlet to a "tee" that runs to the sea strainer. Each sea strainer then serves an engine and either the generator or a/c water line. It is a pretty trick set-up that functions really well to insure all components are getting sufficient water. If you search around the forums you will see many high performance boats having issues with getting sufficient water to the engines. I think the brass scupper is so inefficient, you are seeing the same issues at 40 mph. Good luck and enjoy that 419. I wish I still had mine, never should of sold her.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Mentalpause
My 7K Kohler in the 350SS had a small LED read out on it and would throw a code when it stopped abnormally. I think it would read LOC (lack of cooling or coolant) when it would not get the proper water flow, which happened all the time if I tried to run it over about 25-30mph, especially if the water was a little rough. I finally stopped using it if I was going to run on plane. I would think it would be hard to keep the correct water flow on a stepped bottom boat even with a cupped pickup.

On the fuel topic, at least in the 350SS, the fuel pickup for the generator was set higher in the gas tank so that you could not run yourself out of fuel anchored out for a night with the gen running.
Yours also did not like being run when the boat was on the lift.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Yours also did not like being run when the boat was on the lift.
LOL. What's this start button for? That's what friends are for, pushing stuff they shouldn't!
Old 11-18-2015, 01:51 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

see if the exhaust wxits into one of the engines tail pipes..might be drowning the generator with water..
Old 11-18-2015, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could it be that the main engines are starving it of air under the hatch?
Old 11-18-2015, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FIXX
see if the exhaust wxits into one of the engines tail pipes..might be drowning the generator with water..

The Gen plumbing is dedicated only to the gen. The intake and exhaust is plumbed only for the gen and it has no ties at all to the engines.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sin_or_Swim
Could it be that the main engines are starving it of air under the hatch?

The impeller cover gets warm which is a strong indicator it is a lack of water. Three 502's can pull some air but the vents for the engine bay pull air pretty well for everything under the hatch.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:46 PM
Registered

Well I got a reply from TAG today and the inability to run a gen on plane is common to the FASTech. The aeration of the step is too much for water to keep adequate flow and pressure for the strainer that supplies the gen.
I have a project it seems now. We require the gen to run on plane so moving the pickups for the gen and AC is what it will take for that part to work.
Pizzer that Fountain sets up their gens to run on plane but Formula does not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.