Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
Generator dies when running on plane about 40mph; Why???? >

Generator dies when running on plane about 40mph; Why????

Notices
Formula

Generator dies when running on plane about 40mph; Why????

Old 11-15-2015, 03:05 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Generator dies when running on plane about 40mph; Why????

I posted in the general section also but I thought here might help Formula boaters or some of our boaters know what this is about.
My 419 has a Kohler 4K gen and it works great if we are anchored out or sitting in a slip. If we get on plane around 40mph it will die. When this happens I noticed the impeller cover is warm so this seems to indicate the shutdown is a result of exhaust over temp as a result of a lack of water. The water pickup for the gen has two bars broken out of the inlet. With these bars broke out can the water rush through so fast that it siphons water out of the strainer? The strainer is clean and there are no problems otherwise and the broken bars are the only thing noticeable with a visual inspection of the system.
What are your thoughts? Has anyone seen this before?
TIA
Old 11-15-2015, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would you run it on plane?
Old 11-15-2015, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Margareta blender was my first thought.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:03 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,212 Likes on 525 Posts

The only way you would be able to run the generator when on plane would be if you had a pickup that "scooped" up the water when moving forward. It sounds like you don't have this. Thus, your generator & it's install were not designed to run when on plane. When your boat is sitting in the slip, the water pressure of the inlet being about 24-30" below the water's surface is what is creating enough water pressure for your impeller to cool the system. You likely need a new impeller now as well.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:11 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,132 Likes on 1,409 Posts

If not that,

Are you lower on fuel than normal ? Does the genset use a shorter pick up tube in a/the main gas tank than what the engines have ? I know some do this so you can't run the tank out of gas..The gen will die before that happens. Particulary helpful when staying in boat for a long time (week-end / week / what have you.)

Note: I'm assuming boat's gn fuel set-ups are like many RV's. LOL. I have no boat generator experience.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do you need the generator when running on plane? My Sea Ray Sedan had to be at the dock or at anchor for the genny to get water to run at proper temp. If you want to use it running install a transom mount pickup or one that's designed to scoop water when running.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:22 PM
Registered

We do have the built in counter top blender and popcorn and movies need power you know, lol. The "scoop" that Formula installs in the boat is forward facing and is designed/plumbed so that water pressure at speed does not overcome the impeller. Impellers can not have more than 7psi or somewhere around there pushing against them so the plumbing that Formula installs allows for the inlet feed pressure to be exhausted out the discharge. All this is factory and fine as I understand it. The pickup has bars in the inlet and two of these bars/screens are broke out. I would think the result is water flow/speed that is excessive and maybe even siphons against the strainer. My impeller is new this year and only has 12 hours run time so it is not a factor I don't believe. The cover is warm when it shuts down which is what happens if a gen runs with a bad impeller because water is not pumping through. The fuel idea I had not thought of but since the cover is warm I am more concerned with water flow.
I don't have a pic but if you are familiar with the plumbing it runs straight up from the pickup with a diameter of 1 1/4" and has a "T" off to the strainer at like 1/2" line. The water column coming up is very large but the feed to the strainer is small. The dynamics of water flow have something to do here I think. A poster in the general section eludes to this and may have the best description yet.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,134 Likes on 479 Posts

I would replace the pick up.

Sounds like the same sort of pick up used on many different boats. Usually bronze, elliptical shape with 3 or 4 bars running longitudanly. I've had one on a Sea Ray that never failed. Admittedly the Sea Ray was a slow boat (30mph) but I can't believe Formula would fit a pick up to their top end boats that will only work at low speed. If they did, I think they would have warnings in the owner manual and stickers on the genset stating it cannot be used at high speed. Should work at 40, top speed and 'airing out' may be an issue.

RR
Attached Images  

Last edited by rak rua; 11-15-2015 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rak rua
I would replace the pick up.

Sounds like the same sort of pick up used on many different boats. Usually bronze, elliptical shape with 3 or 4 bars running longitudanly. I've had one on a Sea Ray that never failed. Admittedly the Sea Ray was a slow boat (30mph) but I can't believe Formula would fit a pick up to their top end boats that will only work at low speed. If they did, I think they would have warnings in the owner manual and stickers on the genset stating it cannot be used at high speed. Should work at 40, top speed and 'airing out' may be an issue.

RR
Yes that is the same pickup I have. I will replace it because it is broken from trailer issues that I also have to fix. Just amazing to think that two bars broke out makes all the difference but I guess I will find out.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

^^^^. This is exactly what I have on my Black Thunder. It then feeds to a strainer with relief then to the Gen. I've ran the gen a few times when running and never had any issues with temp or water flow. Wish my AC pickup was the same way so I could have it running at least he same time. Mine is a Kohler 5E as info

Marc Blondin could chime in and say why he built it that way when new as my 46 just had a flush mount fitting not a scupper.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.