Trailer for 292

Notices
Formula

Trailer for 292

Old 01-27-2016, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trailer for 292

Any idea what you would expect to pay for a good steel or aluminum trailer made for a 292? Can you get away with tandem axles....or do you need triples? Best brake setup? Looking for advice on options and brands. Thanks!!
Old 01-27-2016, 11:27 AM
Registered

I would recommend triple torsion axles with electric over hydraulic disk brakes on at least two axles. I've always liked aluminum for corrosion resistance and lightening the load of the boat/trailer. easy to pull a boat/hard to stop it!!! Prices range widely and I'm not in the KY area, so not sure what to say there.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:38 PM
Registered

SR1 or Fastech
Old 01-27-2016, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Smokin Gun had a good aluminium float on trailer for sale check with him
Old 01-27-2016, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a McClain aluminum trailer for my boat. All mechanical connections no welds on the whole trailer so if somethings damaged can bold up new factory parts. I have the tandem torsion 8300# set up with disc breaks (my boat weighs 6K dry). Hauls like its on rails behind my F250. They're triple axel trailers I think start at around 10K carrying capacity. Payed Around $6k w/ all the upgrades out the door couple years back. Hope this helps.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:17 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Just went thru this 2 years ago. Tube steel trailer was rusting out and was not fit for road use, only yard use. I price aluminum I beam trailers, and steel and aluminum c channel welded trailers. I chose to go with the steel c channel welded trailer.

I chose 2 axels with 16" wheels and E rated trailer tires. I got away from the 14" wheels simple because you cannot get a trailer tire to last under much load on a 14" wheel. I can go to any auto store and get a 16" tire to fit if I am in a bind and my spare has already blown.

I chose springs over torsion simple for the replacement later on.

I went with a galv dipped trailer with ss fasteners. I do travel to salt water on occasion.

I went steel over alum due to hearing stories of boaters having fatigue cracking at the welds of alum or center span of a c channel. I have not seen a steel trailer crack due to regular use, and if it does I can fix in my shop with my current tools and not have to worry about a special alloy welding rod/wire ect.

To date I am very pleased with my trailer. I paid good money between 9 and 10k but I do not want a broken trailer ever, at any point in my travels. I usually tow with wife and child in truck and I would hate to have them stranded on the side of the road if I can prevent it. The 30% up charge for a fully welded trailer over an I beam is money well spent.

I chose loadmaster out of Ohio, they have the best customer support I have come across when I was shopping for a trailer.

I did not call myco for a quote simply because I was pretty sure they were out of my budget range, maybe I should have but I just didn't.

I would strongly suggest having adjustable bunks, we welded on type leave you no adjustability, and what if they are wrong......most trailer mfgs are hours drives unless you are luck and being able to fine tune the fit once you are back home is a huge plus.

my load master tows perfectly straight and I have about 10k miles on it now and tires have worn exactly the same, and all I have had to do was general maintenance on the bearings, and lube the tongue slide.

Oh and go EOH, I wish like hell I would have, and have considered doing the retrofit.

LC
Old 01-27-2016, 02:33 PM
Registered

My 312 fastech is on a dual axle steel with EOH brakes. I towed it all the way back from Lake Havasu to Huntsville, Al with no problems.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am a huge fan of Performance Boat trailers in Lake George, he's does most every rig a new Outerlimits comes on, he did one for my 271 a few years back, I really miss that trailer, it was steel, but the welding was incredible, quality was great, price was really competitive, it was that or a Manning @ the time, he was a bit less and I went there, but a friend is on his second manning and its truely just as nice,

My 303 rides on a tandem Myco, no issues, I do tow with a half, no sway or anything it is perfectly balanced, (thats key) I do alotta in and out of the driveway, so a tandem just fits better, I do a few trips a year with no issues, with that said if you tow alotta miles like some on here do, I'd go triple, I can't believe the amount of fella's on here that travel 2/3 hours one way every weekend, if its more around town I'd stay with a heavy tandem,
Old 01-27-2016, 03:18 PM
Registered

I would recommend a tandem over triple axle anytime possible!
Old 01-27-2016, 07:40 PM
Registered

I purchased a Loadmaster a couple of years ago for my 32 Fountain and I am very happy with it. I went with the 8" C-Channel steel frame, three 6000 pound axles with brake on all, painted to match boat with the word fountain on the frame, the better v-block stop, aluminum wheels and all led lights. Paid in the 8-9000 dollar range.

Last edited by MRALLEN; 01-27-2016 at 07:43 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.