Notices
Formula

Speaker placement - 242LS

Old 02-19-2016, 08:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,231 Likes on 686 Posts
Default Speaker placement - 242LS

I did some searching and found some older posts, but I thought I'd start a new thread...

My 242LS has all the old factory audio components in it... they're being replaced. Here's what I have to go in the boat as of now:

Kenwood DDX head unit
Alpine PDX-5M 5-channel digital amp (rated at 75Wx4, 300x1, birth sheet shows 125x4, 410x1)
Alpine SPR-M700 Type-R 7-inch 2-way speakers (4)

Haven't picked subs yet.

My thought was to replace the forward cockpit speakers as well as add the other pair right behind the glass at the rear bench; if they'll fit. The cabin will get some Pioneer 6.5's that I have hanging around, and they'll be run straight off the head unit (I'm happy with quiet sound in the cabin).

What about the subs? I was thinking about adding subs to the bench panel (and making a sealed box internal to the bench compartment), or maybe some shallow-mount subs to go inside thin boxes inside the gunwale storage areas.

This is a swivel chair boat... no bolsters. What have the rest of you done? Looking forgot sound; no need to have everyone jamming off my tunes.

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2016, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Anyone?
Old 02-21-2016, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

Definitely build boxes under the bench seat if that's where you plan to mount subs. We put in 2 10" woofers on our 292 fastech under the bench without boxes. It didn't sound good at all. In terms of subwoofer brand. Sky is the limit. Could put in jl audio. Or keep it as cheap as Rockford fosgate.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I am thinking of putting i a new head unit in, so i can play my music off my phone, just have and old cd player i put in years ago. I just don't know a lot about stereo systems just want something simple.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I was at Best Buy a month ago and saw that they now have head units that manage USB/Bluetooth devices only. No CD or AM/FM. If I can remember correctly, I think it was a Pioneer that I saw, and it was inexpensive. Might be a good piece of equipment for a boat. I'm using the Kenwood because I have it, and it'll play video via either the built-in 6" display or a separate LED monitor (for overnighting with the kids and such). If I needed a new HU, I'd be very interested in it.

Here's the Pioneer:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ers/MVH-X370BT

Anyway, something to think about.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1
Definitely build boxes under the bench seat if that's where you plan to mount subs. We put in 2 10" woofers on our 292 fastech under the bench without boxes. It didn't sound good at all. In terms of subwoofer brand. Sky is the limit. Could put in jl audio. Or keep it as cheap as Rockford fosgate.
Is it then recommended to put the subs in the bench? I like the stowage there, and building boxes will take up good, usable space.

I was thinking I could stuff boxes inside the gunwale panels, but in unsure of what will fit in there. It's space that I don't really use out side of holding life jackets so seems doable.

Another option would be a single 12 somewhere, with the emphasis on "where."
Old 02-22-2016, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 104 Likes on 68 Posts

TomZ,

I have a USB/BT head unit mounted in the "glove box", Two huge 6x9's Under the rear seat, and two 6.5" on each side in the front of the cock pit. There are upgraded speakers in the cuddy and I have a 6 Channel amp mounted upside down on the bottom side of the cuddy step. The cuddy speakers run off the head unit (4 x 50 Watt) through a 4PST toggle switch next to the head unit so I can turn them off when not in use. The cockpit speakers run off of the amplifier and I will be also adding a 10" under the rear bench this spring. I am currently looking at an "infinite baffle" subwoofer which does not require a box but I have read mixed reviews on that type and also a standard marine 10" with a box built behind it. The sub will be run of the bridged 5th and 6th channel on my amp as it is currently unused.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The infinite baffle sub needs to have the front separated from the rear. I think the seat would leak causing the sound to be a little muddy.

I think I might go this way...

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-aYZ0res...-R2S-1X10.html

The link is to a Rockford 10-inch shallow mount in its own box. If they'll fit inside the gunwale storage areas, they'll work.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 104 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by TomZ
The infinite baffle sub needs to have the front separated from the rear. I think the seat would leak causing the sound to be a little muddy.

The link is to a Rockford 10-inch shallow mount in its own box. If they'll fit inside the gunwale storage areas, they'll work.
I am going to have a fiberglass enclosure on the backside on the sub to prevent that. Those Rockford 10's sound nice, I installed a pair in my friends Crew Cab Duramax last year. Should work out well in the gunwale.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by TomZ

Everything you said is accurate...which is why the under the bench seat option is only good with sealed boxes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.