Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
292 Fastech What to look for when buying? >

292 Fastech What to look for when buying?

Notices
Formula

292 Fastech What to look for when buying?

Old 03-04-2016, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am determined to get my pig out of the hole faster this year. The plans are to make ventilation tubes to get some slip in the props while they are getting up on plane. If that doesn't pan out then it will be off to bblades to have the props drilled for vent holes. I love this boat but hate when I have people in the back seat and I have to plow water until it gets on plane.

I know the idea will work because I tested it with small tubes and compressed air last season.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbuttion
4mulafastech, Would it be possible for you to take some photos with measurements of your setup for me whenever you get a chance. I plan on doing the install myself so that would be a huge help for making sure that layout and mounting goes as smooth as possible.
Gbuttion, Here are a couple pics. They are mounted 1/2 inch above the bottom and 1 inch from the bottom edge of the molded swim platform. Let me know if you need any other info.
Attached Thumbnails 292 Fastech What to look for when buying?-k-plane1.jpg   292 Fastech What to look for when buying?-k-plane2.jpg  
Old 03-06-2016, 09:31 PM
Registered

I just picked up my 292, and the props have been drilled in 4 places to help ventilation. Still interested in bigger tabs....not sure which direction to go here.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Revspan
I just picked up my 292, and the props have been drilled in 4 places to help ventilation. Still interested in bigger tabs....not sure which direction to go here.
Revspan - What engines are in your 292? Even before the K-Planes my 292 with the 320 HP 6.2's got on plane fine turning labbed 28P Bravo's with no vent holes. It doesn't 'jump' on plane with either the Bennett's or K-Planes, although the K-Planes help a little. For a heavy, 24° dead rise V-hull, I never thought it was that bad with these engines/props. You lose sight of the horizon for a bit, but not that long.

We do most of our boating on the Mississippi River, and it can be pretty fun with large cruisers and barges building some big waves against the current. One thing I like to do at times is run fast in rough water. When running 60+ mph with the Bennett's I always felt they were not helping much and the 292 could get out of shape pretty quick. THIS is the reason I decided to give the K-Planes a try. I couldn't have been happier the first time running in rough water. I said before, my wife actually commented to me that she couldn't believe the difference and was actually GLAD I spent the money on this upgrade. Just sharing my experience. Good luck!
Old 03-07-2016, 05:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Revspan
Are all the vent plugs closed off or some open?

I assume that it came with 28 bravos?

You will love the boat. It does eveything that it's bigger brothers do but with the bullet proof reliability of small blocks and bravos!
Old 03-07-2016, 08:55 PM
Registered

My boat has 377s. Basically new with only a few hours on them. We sea trialed and noticed that the tabs rally helped getting on plane...bet were not required. The props are straight from Formula....labbed bravo 28pwith vent holes drilled in them. The dealer has a lot of experience with performance boats and called Formula to get their ok. So, I can say that Formula delivered a new boat(has never been titled or sold) to me with the props vented.
Going to be a while before I get it on the water again, but am looking to learn and optimize the package. I cannot say enough about the fit and finish of this boat...they are great. Not a lot of storage compared to my previous Powerquest, but it will do, as it has a lot of other good qualities.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:02 AM
Registered

the 377s in the newer boats are the same motors as the 6.2s in the older boats. they have the 377 block. these are not the 377 blue scorpion motors. just wanted to clarify
Old 03-19-2016, 02:44 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by 4mulafastech
Gbuttion, Here are a couple pics. They are mounted 1/2 inch above the bottom and 1 inch from the bottom edge of the molded swim platform. Let me know if you need any other info.
That's great, thanks so much. Sold my 25 Outlaw yesterday, and should be doing inspection and sea trial on the 292 this week hopefully. I also picked up a used pair of 280s, with lines and pumps for $450. They need to be cleaned up and power coated, but should be good to go.

Anyone ever removed, or know how to remove the rails on the bow and stern. Thinking about power coating them as well, thoughts....??
Old 03-19-2016, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 2007 292 that I sold n 2009, but I had same issue with it getting on plane. I installed Stainless Marine exhaust and it came on plane a couple seconds sooner. I think it was because with the new exhaust systems it weighed 160 pounds less in the rear.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSbp8QIKNBA

And it sounded much better too!
Old 03-19-2016, 08:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Made It Rain
I had a 2007 292 that I sold n 2009, but I had same issue with it getting on plane. I installed Stainless Marine exhaust and it came on plane a couple seconds sooner. I think it was because with the new exhaust systems it weighed 160 pounds less in the rear.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSbp8QIKNBA

And it sounded much better too!
Did your 292 have the Corsa Quick-and-Quiet Y-pipe and did that work with the Stainless Marine exhaust? I've been thinking of going with those manifolds. Any tips? Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.