Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
Formula 311 vs 357. What to look out for? >

Formula 311 vs 357. What to look out for?

Notices
Formula

Formula 311 vs 357. What to look out for?

Old 03-10-2016, 11:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No color preference. As long as the colors don't look totally faded. I'm more biased on color of the interior. That's harder to change then the color of the exterior. That 292 was awesome. Only thing I have found on that page was that most of the listings are a 7 months- 1.5 years old
Old 03-11-2016, 05:29 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Matt if you do decide on a 311.there is one posted on power boat swap shop looks very clean I think he wants 16,500 for it . Good luck
Old 03-11-2016, 07:00 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The most important difference is rot. Look for rot, then look for rot again, then pay someone to look for rot, then double check where he looked for rot, then look somewhere else for rot, then buy whatever one isn't rotten and keep your fingers crossed. Oh, and don't forget to check for rot either.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:27 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

BCK got it right, check for rot all over. They are great boats. I agree with others that say that the 311 is the best all around boat. The 357 is a LOT larger feeling boat when running and is wider and trailering is a bit more difficult due to the extra length. My 311 was always super reliable with the 420 package and TRS drives. Bravo's are nice with the extra room in front of the engines, TRS boats give you some room behind the engines so it is kind of a toss up but Bravo's boats over all may be a little easier to work on with the motors farther back. IMO the TRS boats ride nicer/have better balance. Props can make a huge difference on these boats. In 89 the 420 boats were the boat of the year if memory serves me correctly.

Last edited by Audiofn; 03-13-2016 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:44 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Audiofn- it's going back a ways but didn't you have one you had to rebuild?
Old 03-11-2016, 08:52 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

That was a 302. Never finished that boat. Purchased the 311. Sold that last year and got a 353. Fixing a bunch of stuff on the 353 now... Never ends.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:00 AM
Registered

Switchback man, i saw that post on power boat swap shop. its a beautiful boat. i only hope its for sale in a couple months.

Audio fn whats the difference between the trs and bravo drive
Old 03-13-2016, 12:41 AM
Registered

Most of the powerboatlistings ads have phone numbers attached, as long as you keep an eye on the date of the ad and you don't go older than the previous season, you will find that most of them are still for sale.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:22 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Originally Posted by MericaboaterSR1
Switchback man, i saw that post on power boat swap shop. its a beautiful boat. i only hope its for sale in a couple months.

Audio fn whats the difference between the trs and bravo drive
The TRS drive uses a transmission in the boat. The Bravo does not. The transmission pushes the motors about I think it is 15" farther forward. This IMO helps balance out the boat and it runs flatter in rough water and even over all. They shift really nice as well. The Bravo boats are going to be more desirable as they are still current. They don't make the TRS drives any more. The solution is just buy a spare set of drives and you are ready to roll. Parts are still all over the place as the TRS drives were made for so long. If you know were to look they are so easy to find and are usually cheap.

Another place to check on these boats is the forward bulkhead int he engine bays. Look right were the stringers meet the bulkhead. They are old boats so don't expect them to be perfect for the most part unless you get really lucky. I loved my 311 and it treated me very well. Wish I still had it now that I am digging into a bunch of projects on my 353 that I had hoped with hit being a newer boat I would not have to do!