Distant Thunder gets new power.. >

Distant Thunder gets new power..

Notices
Formula

Distant Thunder gets new power..

Old 03-17-2016, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Distant Thunder gets new power..

First of all, Thanks to everyone for their input so far with my build. This all started by removing my existing power plant to replace the coupler and freshen up the gaskets. Now I am knee deep in a full build, engine bay detail, in addition to other improvements to the amenities on board.

Old Engine:

Gen VI (1997) 454 Block
Rebuilt in 2008 by Previous Owner
Stock Crank turned .010
Stock Rods
Unnamed Cam
+.030 Pistons
088 Heads with stock lifters, rockers, etc.
Edelbrock Performer RPM Dual Plane
Stainless Marine Manifolds and Tails to Hardin Marine tips
Holley 800 Double Pumper
Ran a best of ~69 MPH at ~5000 RPM with 24P Bravo 1 (Bblades)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhIN8wcmTqY Upon disassembly I found 2 slightly damaged cylinders and I wasn't comfortable with going .060 over on a Gen VI that was in salt water prior to me having it. Also found a no name camshaft.

New Engine:

Gen VI (1998) 454 Block (Standard Bore, Previously Closed Cooling System) $200
Block and Head Machine Work $550.00
Standard Crank $0.00
Standard Rods with ARP Hardware $0.00
King Bearings ($TBD.00) Installed by Machine Shop
Diamond Pistons Forged 12704 .030 Over - from old engine $0.00
Sealed Power R9904030 Rings $126.00
COMP Cams K01-451-8 Camshaft Kit $965.88
COMP Cams 900-16 Hydraulic Roller Lifters $204.88
COMP Cams RPS302 Magnum Rocker Arm/Pushrod/Stud Kit $259.88
088 Heads worked over by Machine Shop with Valve Upgrades
ARP Hardware for Heads $75.00
Stock Valve Covers w/ Spacers (TBD)
MSD 31489 8.5mm Super Conductor Spark Plug Wire Set $99.95
Mr. Gasket 6005 Aluminum Carburetor Spacer with Open Center $25.00 (Testing Purposes)
Holley 800 DP $0.00
Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake $0.00
Stainless Marine Manifolds and Tails $0.00
Gaskets, Coupler, Maintenance and Misc Items $850.00

Currently the engine block and heads are at the machine shop and the parts are flowing in. The weather is breaking here so it has given me a chance to clean/detail the engine bay and take care of the other items in the boat I wanted to do before this season. This will be my first full engine build and it has been interesting already, to say the least. I look forward to any improvements this new power will give Distant Thunder! I am looking at 2 locations to get the engine dyno'd at, one in PA (Mahler Engine Service) and one in VA Beach (Riddle) that TomZ recommended to me. I feel that it will be money well spent to have it the engine broke in and tuned prior to installation, especially dialing in the Holley carb. I will keep you all posted on progress!

Last edited by distantthunder; 03-18-2016 at 08:09 AM.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That cam is smaller than a 454 mag cam. With your setup I would think you'd want something more like a 731 crane. It's too bad not knowing what cam was in it. If it was in the engine you could at least degree for duration/lift/lca. At 69 on the top end you had more power than a 454 mag
Old 03-18-2016, 04:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mr Maine
That cam is smaller than a 454 mag cam. With your setup I would think you'd want something more like a 731 crane. It's too bad not knowing what cam was in it. If it was in the engine you could at least degree for duration/lift/lca. At 69 on the top end you had more power than a 454 mag
Still time to change my route, free returns on amazon, what would your recommendation be and could it use the rocker and lifter kits I already purchased?
Old 03-18-2016, 06:58 AM
Registered

Then I am back to looking at the K-01-451-8 but it may be too big for this build? Thoughts?
Old 03-18-2016, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by distantthunder
Then I am back to looking at the K-01-451-8 but it may be too big for this build? Thoughts?
Comp cams have matched extreme marine cams. I recently put one in my 88 242ss after installing the previous season 292 (1971 402cid heads) casting heads 2.19 / 1.88 and pocket ported and roller tip rockers, with high rise, duel plane, semi tuned exhaust manifolds. The cam woke it right up! then It spun the coupler! So I had to replace the coupler, just finished it yesterday. Put in the huge coupler and flywheel cover. If you dont have the HD coupler I recommend doing that too. I recommend a comp cams extreme marine. read about it online.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:48 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 493 Likes on 229 Posts

Distantthunder,

Congrats on the engine build for this coming season and for certain the additional upgrades that you will do along the way. Nice looking boat. Look forward to seeing it in person this season and doing some running together. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you along.

Chris.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by oconnor marine
Comp cams have matched extreme marine cams. I recently put one in my 88 242ss after installing the previous season 292 (1971 402cid heads) casting heads 2.19 / 1.88 and pocket ported and roller tip rockers, with high rise, duel plane, semi tuned exhaust manifolds. The cam woke it right up! then It spun the coupler! So I had to replace the coupler, just finished it yesterday. Put in the huge coupler and flywheel cover. If you dont have the HD coupler I recommend doing that too. I recommend a comp cams extreme marine. read about it online.
Thanks for the input, I am returning the originally ordered kit and going with the K-01-451-8. Do you have a part number for that HD coupler you speak of?
Old 03-18-2016, 08:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by badmonkey
Distantthunder,

Congrats on the engine build for this coming season and for certain the additional upgrades that you will do along the way. Nice looking boat. Look forward to seeing it in person this season and doing some running together. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you along.

Chris.
Thanks Chris! It's been hectic for sure, this build on top of purchasing our first home has been a tad bit overwhelming at times but the payoff will be worth it if she holds together as long and as well as the original setup did. The dyno tune should help with getting it commissioned and dialed in and provide me with the hard numbers I would like to have for whenever I pass Distant Thunder off to the next owner in a few years.The season is approaching quickly and I hope to get some runs together as well. I have a friend on your side of the bay that has a 242 w/ 502 that is looking to meet up as well. All black hull and goes by the name "Good Vibes", don't know if you have seen it floating around. Once the engine is in then I will put my attention on the trailer so I can get around to more places! If you're ever on the shore, let me know!

-Josh
Old 03-18-2016, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by distantthunder
I haven't run that cam, but it looks about where you want to be. It looks like it has 2 degrees of advance ground in, I would advance it 2 more (4 degrees) if you have an adjustable timing set. What is your compression ratio?

I would also keep the up idle up above 1000 when in gear, and if idling at the dock, bump it up some too. Check for any reversion, but with the SM manifolds you should be fine.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mr Maine
I haven't run that cam, but it looks about where you want to be. It looks like it has 2 degrees of advance ground in, I would advance it 2 more (4 degrees) if you have an adjustable timing set. What is your compression ratio?

I would also keep the up idle up above 1000 when in gear, and if idling at the dock, bump it up some too. Check for any reversion, but with the SM manifolds you should be fine.
My only concern was the RPM range of 2200-5800 RPM based on maxing out at ~5000 RPM with the 24P Bravo 1. Before BBlades cleaned up the prop, she was turning ~5300 RPM in the low 60's but I assume once the dyno is done and some sea trials, I can dial in the prop more appropriately. I will be using the timing set that is included with the Cam kit. It looks like the CR will be around 9-9.25 when all said and done. The ilde was pretty high before ~800 RPM and I usually have it around 1100 when moving around the docks.The SM manifolds have tails that almost touch the tips on the thru hull (~2.5 Inches), I was thinking of setting the initial ignition timing at 10* but since I will be using the dyno, I will get to play with it a bit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.