Extra batteries in a 353 fastech

Notices
Formula

Extra batteries in a 353 fastech

Old 03-22-2016, 06:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extra batteries in a 353 fastech

Anyone put extra batteries in a 353 fastech. The current two battery system is not going to work for our over nighting. I would like to put two 6 volt house batteries somewhere and keep the other two as dedicated starting batteries. I will also being adding a switch to get this accomplished. I just can't figure out the best place to put them. The obvious place would be on the step in the engine bay but it is nowhere near strong enough to hold them and the vac/holding tank doesn't leave a lot of room in that spot. The second option would be on either side of the motors, but I am also pretty sure the grid system is not strong enough to hold them either. Any other idea's trying not to use up any storage space either as we (my wife) take a lot of stuff with us to go boating and a cluttered boat drives me crazy.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:53 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Don't have any answers for you yet, but am planning to do the same, so will let you know if I come up with anything once I can get some decent enough weather. I might even consider putting them right on top of the existing batteries. I already have to pop the speakers out to get those access doors open, so another couple of bolts doesn't really matter. I know it cuts into storage, but I just haven't seen much in the engine compartment that seems doable.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:33 PM
Registered

Yeah I agree not a lot of options, and I am kind of leaning the same way as putting them right on top of the others too. That is what I keep coming back to anyway.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:58 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Only other thing I've thought is to go the portable generator route so I can run the battery charger if needed...
Old 03-23-2016, 04:10 AM
Registered

Me too. I will probably get one for extended trips, but even on short trips I have a hard time thinking that I would even be able to make it one night on one group 31 DP battery. On my old boat we had two group 31 starting batteries and 2 group 31 deep cycles. I could go days without power and be fine.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:53 AM
Registered

I run a honda 2000 generator when im anchored and plug my shore power in. Best route to go.. been doing it for years with no complaints.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FANTAZ28
I run a honda 2000 generator when im anchored and plug my shore power in. Best route to go.. been doing it for years with no complaints.
make sure your Co2 alarm works in the cabin !!!