Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
Formula 353 with cracking engine bay liner and excessive stress cracks on bottom >

Formula 353 with cracking engine bay liner and excessive stress cracks on bottom

Notices
Formula

Formula 353 with cracking engine bay liner and excessive stress cracks on bottom

Old 03-31-2016, 06:09 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Also a 99. Rigged with HP500's, brave drives, no boxes. Back4More, It was on my boat obvious when I was under the boat and started to tap the bottom of the boat. The one side sounded totally hollow. I was also able to push up on the bottom of the boat. I think Chris's was the same way based on conversations with people but the other give away was that there were stress cracks in kind of odd places on the bottom of the boat. For example in the middle of the running surfaces. Maybe Chris or Dave can confirm if this was the case with his.

Last edited by Audiofn; 03-31-2016 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:18 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am also still waiting to hear back from Plexus.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiofn
I am also still waiting to hear back from Plexus.
While I am no expert, but having seen Bad Monkeys boat, Jon do you think it was the plexus or the improper use of plexus?
Old 03-31-2016, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

not trying to stir the $hit,but has Formula reached out to anybody thats having issues?
Old 03-31-2016, 06:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 493 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by boatnt
not trying to stir the $hit,but has Formula reached out to anybody thats having issues?
Formula has NOT reached out at all. I have been in contact with Scott Smith and have given him detailed information along with photos. Was told that he was going to pass along the photos and info to the appropriate persons and have yet to hear anything. I was told by Scott....."it's a 15 year old boat, what do you want us to do"....Formula has know about the issue with my boat since June of last year and they have not done a thing......
Old 03-31-2016, 06:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Also a 99. Rigged with HP500's, brave drives, no boxes. Back4More, It was on my boat obvious when I was under the boat and started to tap the bottom of the boat. The one side sounded totally hollow. I was also able to push up on the bottom of the boat. I think Chris's was the same way based on conversations with people but the other give away was that there were stress cracks in kind of odd places on the bottom of the boat. For example in the middle of the running surfaces. Maybe Chris or Dave can confirm if this was the case with his.
My boat had cracks in the inner liner going up the stringers along with a significant crack on the bottom of the hull (under the bilge - far back step) with a significant amount of "oil canning" stress marks in the gel coat. Again, Dave will be able to speak much more intelligently and with detail with exactly what he found when he cut it all open. I am merely speaking of what I found...hence why Glassdave has my boat....
Old 03-31-2016, 07:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by badmonkey
Formula has NOT reached out at all. I have been in contact with Scott Smith and have given him detailed information along with photos. Was told that he was going to pass along the photos and info to the appropriate persons and have yet to hear anything. I was told by Scott....."it's a 15 year old boat, what do you want us to do"....Formula has know about the issue with my boat since June of last year and they have not done a thing......
sorry to hear that,

quick story,back in 1995 I bought a 290 Powerquest about 4-5 years later the hull started showing some lines on the outside, I called Powerquest took some pictures and about a weeks later I got a call from them asking if they can pick up the boat,I asked them if they can pick it up in the fall and they said no problem,
in the fall they picked up the boat,they called me a couple of weeks later and told me that when the boat was been built they mixed the resin to strong/hot and what I was seeing was the bulkheads were showing on the outside of the boat and the only way to repair it correctly was to either replace the hull at NO charge to me or they could build me a new 290 and pay the taxes and the difference on the trailer and if I wanted any more options I would have to pay for that as well,
well I took them up on the offer and had them build me a new 290 and was charged for the difference of the trailer,taxes and a couple of options I added to the boat,They not only picked up the old boat in the fall they also dropped the new boat in late spring,they also allowed me to go and inspect the build any time I wanted,

needless to say I bought 5 more Powerquest over the years from them ,a total of 7.

wish they were still around.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Still holding my breath waiting for Plexus to respond to our issues 5 years ago. When they found out it was a boat failure they literally hung up and said "take it up with the Mfg". Click Click hummmmmm
Old 03-31-2016, 07:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Boatnt,
I'm assuming you had a 4-5 year old boat. These Formulas we are having issues with are far past their hull warranties...... Very cool story though what Powerquest did for you. Always did love those boats. This thread that Audiofn (Jon) has started will share tons of good detail information as he travels thru this repair...as did mine. I think both Jon and I hope to be able to shed light on concerns for these boats. Formula builds an outstanding boat...we now work on finding the solutions for the cause of these issues. I don't want to speak too much about what or not Formula is doing or will do...time will tell. Don't want to take away from Jon's thread...

Chris
Old 03-31-2016, 07:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by badmonkey
Boatnt,
I'm assuming you had a 4-5 year old boat. These Formulas we are having issues with are far past their hull warranties...... Very cool story though what Powerquest did for you. Always did love those boats. This thread that Audiofn (Jon) has started will share tons of good detail information as he travels thru this repair...as did mine. I think both Jon and I hope to be able to shed light on concerns for these boats. Formula builds an outstanding boat...we now work on finding the solutions for the cause of these issues. I don't want to speak too much about what or not Formula is doing or will do...time will tell. Don't want to take away from Jon's thread...

Chris
I understand and wish you guys luck,I just wanted to share my story with you guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.