Formula Buff and Wax

Notices
Formula

Formula Buff and Wax

Old 03-30-2016, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Formula Buff and Wax

Does anyone have experience properly buffing and waxing a late 80's (1989 to be exact) Formula? Distant Thunder looks great however I feel the hull sides and top deck are missing that deep pop, mainly the white. The bottom of the boat needs a lot of attention as well. Part of the stripe on top was burned through by the Previous Owner and I want to avoid that when I get her ready for 2016. Do I need to tape off the graphics on the hull sides? Do I need to treat the graphics any different than the white? I was looking at 3M Rubbing Compound and Finesse It plus a good quality wax. What pads are needed? The pictures are from when she was put away for the winter. All input is appreciated!

Old 03-30-2016, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had great success with Wizards stuff and a harbor freight polisher. I am sure there are other great products out there as well. Just what I had success with.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have hade very good luck with wizards,i use it on the bow as it has more oxidization than the hull, ill use a lighter cut. once that is done use a good sealer than a good wax. Like J said a good polisher try Habor Frieght.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:21 AM
Registered

Lots of trial and error and sweat. You need to find the right product for your individual finish. What works sometimes does not always work. I have found some of the marine designated products will leave a haze, they will give a shine and look good for many people but those who know and can appreciate shine will notice it. Finese It is a good product to do an initial pass. I have also used Menzerna to really bring depth a lusture. I but the bullet and was tired of using the HF machines that use to overheat in my hands and shut off frequently and purchased a professional machine... the Rupes Bigfoot. I like shine, my trucks and my boat benefitted of the investment. To seal/protect her use Colinite it has waxes and oils that hulls need. Good luck! Worth it in the end but dont expect to get a good finish in a days worth of work lol.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

This is what I've done with good results:

I used a 3M cutting compound with a wool pad set at about 1600-1800 RPM (using an older HF Chicago Electric sander/polisher that was recommended on here years ago... had it maybe 15 years... but the new ones are not great at all). Any faster than that and the material starts to burn up. The PO of my 'Bird burned through some of the Imron on the bow so it's a lost cause for me... I just take it easy on that area. Anyway, it takes lots of time with the cutter, but be careful and let the tool do the work. Keep going over it until it feels clean, then wash it really well with some Dawn (you'll need to wash a few times to get everything off). Let it dry (a blower helps to get a lot of water off quickly, then towel, then air dry).

Break out the Finesse-It and a new pad. Again, take your time and keep working at it. The Finesse-It will start to add some good shine back into the gel coat, and she'll start to get that "pop" back. Again, wash and dry everything really well, then go with a wax of your choosing. I've had good luck just using Mother's Pure Carnuba paste. Colinite is good stuff too.

I did mine back in December, but it was a quick job. Spent an afternoon on it. She came out good for a winter put away cleaning, but I plan to really hit her up again next month. It'll be a full weekend deal getting her done.

Good luck!

Last edited by TomZ; 03-31-2016 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 04-03-2016, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

BTW the next time any of you are in the keys, bring ur stuff,I have a 40 that you can do!
Old 04-03-2016, 06:21 PM
Registered

^ thought he was going to say I have a 4p he would bring us out on... nope just buff it.

We did a Miami Boat Show/Keys trip in Feb. We boated down there! Got a ride on the new 350CBR with Ilmors than yachted around Key West on a Sea Doo lol.