New 88 242LS with a few questions

Notices
Formula

New 88 242LS with a few questions

Old 04-28-2016, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 88 242LS with a few questions

after about 2 years of looking on and off i finally bought a 1988 242ls. Anyways I bought the boat knowing these problems and knowing what i was getting into. Hopefully they are as small as I was hoping for. On to the issues

-Bravo 1 drive will go down with the switch on the throttle control but not up. will tilt up with the trailer control.
-speedometer does not work at all but all other gauges work fine. Where should i start testing for the issue?

those are the main 2 issues at the moment.

thanks!
Old 04-28-2016, 05:13 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

The drive will not go all the way up with the throttle button. It only goes up a little bit with that button. The speedo is a tube. if the tube is plugged or the pickup is broken the gauge wont work.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 79formula
The drive will not go all the way up with the throttle button. It only goes up a little bit with that button. The speedo is a tube. if the tube is plugged or the pickup is broken the gauge wont work.
The drive will not go up at all with the throttle button but will go all the way up with the trailer button.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Fman
The drive will not go up at all with the throttle button but will go all the way up with the trailer button.
Take the switch out of the throttle shifter and clean it out... if its the quicksilver throttle with an egg shape trim switch top then this is most likely the culprt as their contacts are notorious for getting slight corrosion.

Also worth checking your solenoids on the trim motor, there is a separate solenoid for going up and down. Switch them up and if you have reversed the issue then its a solenoid.

Last edited by DRock; 04-28-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

That sounds like a transom limit switch. You can go to the port side (inside boat) where the switch wires come up then disconnect and wires and jump the boat side. Try trim switch. The trailer switch bypasses this. Drive should now come all the way up.

This would mean trim limit switch problem. You can look up the procedure on u-tube.

Last edited by GLENAMY 242SS; 04-28-2016 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DRock
Take the switch out of the throttle shifter and clean it out... if its the quicksilver throttle with an egg shape trim switch top then this is most likely the culprt as their contacts are notorious for getting slight corrosion.

Also worth checking your solenoids on the trim motor, there is a separate solenoid for going up and down. Switch them up and if you have reversed the issue then its a solenoid.
thanks will try that out!
Old 04-28-2016, 06:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GLENAMY 242SS
That sounds like a transom limit switch. You can go to the port side (inside boat) where the switch wires come up then disconnect and wires and jump the boat side. Try trim switch. The trailer switch bypasses this. Drive should now come all the way up.

This would mean trim limit switch problem. You can look up the procedure on u-tube.
thank you! will also give this a look at
Old 04-28-2016, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet it's the solenoid , take some Elec wiring and put it to the positive side of the battery and the other to the blue wire connection on the trim pump . Solenoids are like 15 bucks
Old 04-28-2016, 06:49 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally Posted by glenamy 242ss
that sounds like a transom limit switch. You can go to the port side (inside boat) where the switch wires come up then disconnect and wires and jump the boat side. Try trim switch. The trailer switch bypasses this. Drive should now come all the way up.

x 1,000
Old 04-28-2016, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Matjluk
I bet it's the solenoid , take some Elec wiring and put it to the positive side of the battery and the other to the blue wire connection on the trim pump . Solenoids are like 15 bucks
If that were the problem the trailer up would not work.

Congratulations on your new social director, I mean boat. I think you will love the 242. Where will you be boating?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.