fridge question

Notices
Formula

fridge question

Old 05-27-2016, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fridge question

hey guys I just bought an 87 272, my 86 242 had an ice box which I thought was cool, and now this boat has a fridge which is even cooler! lol my question is does it only work when connected to shore power? or is mine broken? I turned on the switch and it didn't turn on. don't have a shore power cord so I haven't been able to check it, I did see online that some have a breaker right above it in the storage compartment but mine does not (maybe 88 and up?) any help would be appreciated
Old 05-27-2016, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The fridge is a 120/12 volt setup. Its 12 volts until 120 is applied which activates a solenoid switching it to 120. I have seen older fridges that sit over the winter need to have 120 applied to start it, then run fine off 12 volts.

My 89 had a breaker for the fridge for both the 120 and 12 volt panels. My 87 formula is set up different, has breakers for the ac shore panel, but the reset-able breaker for the fridge is under the helm I think. You'll have to check if your getting 12 volts to it.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:48 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Depends on the fridge...my old scarab had two voltage inputs on the back....it had a standard 115v plug that went to a typical household 3 prong plug outlet....and then it also had two wires for 12v hookup.....my boat didn't have the 12v hooked up when i bought it so i added a switch and ran some extra wire and got it working....only thing is they draw some good juice when on battery power so you have to watch your battery level or you may end up floating around with dead battery's and not being able to start up
Easiest way to check is to pull the fridge if you can look behind it easily and see what kind of hook-ups are on it...

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!