87 272 SR1 - 320EFI & AlphaSS Drives

Notices
Formula

87 272 SR1 - 320EFI & AlphaSS Drives

Old 06-02-2016, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by oconnor marine
my network wont let me open it. what colors?
Mainly white hull with the "standard formula" style stripe in Gray, Black & dark Blue going down the side.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JimNut
Mainly white hull with the "standard formula" style stripe in Gray, Black & dark Blue going down the side.
nice. here is a link to the 1987 brochure
http://www.formulaboats.com/wp-conte...a-Brochure.pdf
Old 06-02-2016, 11:59 AM
Registered

That brochure is great!

Is there anything specific to these boats that are known problem areas that I should focus on and watch out for? I've seen it mentioned that under the step going down into the cabin can be a known area of rot in the boat since it can trap water. Any other areas I should look out for specific to these boats?
Old 06-02-2016, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to get the same package with Bravo's. It is taking longer than anticipated to get the boat, but this just made my day! I believe the way I hear this is "the boat will do 65 all day long with a full tank of fuel, a large cooler of beer and a handfull of fat guys" If I could go 70 with 1/4 tank of gas, no beer and only 1 fat guy i would be extatic!
Old 06-02-2016, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Alpha SS is much faster and lighter than the Bravos. I used to race an Alpha SS on a 22 Velocity, as long as you can throttle decently, they will hold up to small blocks. I ran a 530hp small block and could keep it together for 3 races turning 7200rpm. As a test we put my drive on a friends 22 velocity with a standard alpha. The ss ran an instant 5mph faster. You have to remember, the ss's are 3 inches shorter than a standard alpha and have the same surfacing gear case as the 2.5efi racing outboards. I think you could have a sweet package. If you don't like the Alpha SS, you can always sell them off. There have been multiple people searching for them on OSO. They bring better money than a Bravo!
Old 06-03-2016, 05:25 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a '86 272 LS with twin 320 EFI's/Alpha SS Drives new from the factory. With 23" SS Cleavers it would run a speedometer indicated 75...we had no GPS in '86~'87. The motors would run 5500~6000 RPM for hours at a time. Probably the best all around boat I ever owned.

I used to run with a group of guys out of Ralph Martins Everglades Marina in Ft. Lauderdale to Bimini once a week when the water was right...called our selves the "Bimini for Lunch Bunch". There were a couple of KV Scarabs, a "Mistress", F-302 Formula with a pair of 420 HP Cyclones. We would clear the Port Everglades jetty's at about 10 AM...cruise in a group formation about 60~65 and be sitting at the bar in Bimini with a beer and Mahi (Dolphin) sandwich by 11:30.
We looked like a scene out of "Miami Vice" tied up at the dock...those were the days !!

My little 272 was the smallest of the group but would run on the top with any of the others....even in the rough stuff. I broke a few cabin doors and dumped a refrigerator in the floor once or twice but never had and real damage from rough water...but my knees are paying for it now...30 years later LOL !!

IMO the 320 EFI's in the mid/late '80's were a glimpse into the future....a piece of history...solid bottom end and revolutionary intake system for the times.

I think what we are seeing now with the LS motors is another glimpse into the future...6.2's with just a bit of soup making 500+ HP !!?? LOOK OUT !!!

Last edited by sprink58; 06-03-2016 at 05:50 AM.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sprink58
I had a '86 272 LS with twin 320 EFI's/Alpha SS Drives new from the factory. With 23" SS Cleavers it would run a speedometer indicated 75...we had no GPS in '86~'87. The motors would run 5500~6000 RPM for hours at a time. Probably the best all around boat I ever owned.

I used to run with a group of guys out of Ralph Martins Everglades Marina in Ft. Lauderdale to Bimini once a week when the water was right...called our selves the "Bimini for Lunch Bunch". There were a couple of KV Scarabs, a "Mistress", F-302 Formula with a pair of 420 HP Cyclones. We would clear the Port Everglades jetty's at about 10 AM...cruise in a group formation about 60~65 and be sitting at the bar in Bimini with a beer and Mahi (Dolphin) sandwich by 11:30.
We looked like a scene out of "Miami Vice" tied up at the dock...those were the days !!

My little 272 was the smallest of the group but would run on the top with any of the others....even in the rough stuff. I broke a few cabin doors and dumped a refrigerator in the floor once or twice but never had and real damage from rough water...but my knees are paying for it now...30 years later LOL !!

IMO the 320 EFI's in the mid/late '80's were a glimpse into the future....a piece of history...solid bottom end and revolutionary intake system for the times.

I think what we are seeing now with the LS motors is another glimpse into the future...6.2's with just a bit of soup making 500+ HP !!?? LOOK OUT !!!
Very cool story! I've been around boating my entire life growing up in Michigan but just recently started getting into performance boats of my own. We always had ski boats at our family cottage up north and then we also had a Sea Ray Sundancer that we would take weekend long trips on.

A few years ago I bought an 1987 Checkmate 24' Enforcer. It is a great boat and lots of fun but it does not handle rough water well and that is the main reason why I am upgrading. On a busy weekend I typically have to run with full tabs and cruise around 20mph just to stay somewhat comfortable. Also would like to be able to overnight on it and the cabin is just way to small. Practically have to army crawl to get down there.

Last edited by JimNut; 06-03-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:02 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jim...sounds like you will really enjoy a 272. I have been at the helm of 272's with 454's and owned one with twin Small Blocks. Either one is great but personally I like the feel of the smaller motors...lighter in the ass end by about 300 pounds and just feels more nimble in the way it handles.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:30 PM
Registered

Well today was the big day. I went and looked at the 272 this morning and it was just as described. I looked over the boat very well and beyond a few minor issues it is in fantastic shape. Especially considering the boat is close to 30 years old. I guess that just goes to show how well Formula built these boats. With all that being said we shook on a deal pending a water test but as of right now it looks like I will be joining the Formula family. Unfortunately the soonest that will happen between our two schedules is a little over a week away. Its going to be a very long week.....

I took a few more pictures while i was there as well.

Last edited by JimNut; 06-04-2016 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:19 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JimNut
Well today was the big day. I went and looked at the 272 this morning and it was just as described. I looked over the boat very well and beyond a few minor issues it is in fantastic shape. Especially considering the boat is close to 30 years old. I guess that just goes to show how well Formula built these boats. With all that being said we shook on a deal pending a water test but as of right now it looks like I will be joining the Formula family. Unfortunately the soonest that will happen between our two schedules is a little over a week away. Its going to be a very long week.....

I took a few more pictures while i was there as well.

Nice, any pics of drives? and motors? good luck with the test ride

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.