87 272 SR1 - 320EFI & AlphaSS Drives

Notices
Formula

87 272 SR1 - 320EFI & AlphaSS Drives

Old 06-10-2016, 05:18 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
Jim, you have one of the best of the best...enjoy it and appreciate the classic nature of the boat.

23's are what I'm running on my 255 Liberator/Bravo's Twin Vortec 400+ HP. Very similar boats in weight and size. At 70 I'm about 4800. Very good combination.

You might consider joining the Formula Boat Forum http://www.formulaboatsforum.com/VBFORUM/forum.php and sharing that beauty with the guys over there...I'm sure they will appreciate it !!
im at 4750 rpm 67 mph with the 23's. maybe i should get 21's to get the rpms over 5000. the rpm range is 5000-5400/ ???
Old 06-10-2016, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by oconnor marine
im at 4750 rpm 67 mph with the 23's. maybe i should get 21's to get the rpms over 5000. the rpm range is 5000-5400/ ???
I would try the 21" Mirage Plus. I have a pair I use about half the time if I'm not running long distances offshore and they give the boat even stronger jump 0-50...as if it needed it !! If you're on a small to medium size lake the 21" Mirage will let you run out 5000 plus for sure and make the boat a bit more "snappy". I have run mine to just shy of 80 with the 23's at 5500 RPM and 75 at 5500 with the 21's.

The difference is 30 years of technology with the roller cam Vortecs with 800 plus horsepower in the water. I also think the 272 hull is a bit faster than my 255. That being said...I think mine will break 80 with the 23's but my being a bit older than you guys, I run out of "Testicle" in these older boats with out hydraulic steering above 70 !!! LOL

Keep in mind...always use your kill lanyard and wear a GOOD PFD ...especially when you're running hard upstairs on the water. I have had some close calls and seen some bad things happen when a "rogue" boat wake appears out of no where or when one drive locks up on a twin causing a sudden 90* turn !!
Old 06-14-2016, 11:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JimNut
Haven't ran the part numbers but they are stamped with Quicksilver 21. I have a single 23 mirage in my shed. Need to find another one and try it out. Also have a 21 mirage plus as well but like the 23 would need to find a 2nd one. Oh the joy of twins haha
hey did ya get it out over the weekend? hammer down yet?
Old 06-15-2016, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by oconnor marine
hey did ya get it out over the weekend? hammer down yet?
I sure did! Weather was gorgeous here on Saturday so I spent the majority of the day and well into the evening out on the lake. Had a fantastic time and the boat performed great. Before I went out I ran a bunch of highly concentrated fuel injector cleaner through the system and that seemed to help some but the boat was still stalling quite a bit when pulling back into neutral or idling in gear for a while. The boat was trying to idle around 450 RPM which is obviously way to low so I ended up adjusting the idle up by turning in the throttle stops and that seems to have fixed everything. I'm still not confident that is the real underlying issue but for now it seems to have done the trick.

Performance wise this boat is pretty damn impressive and I haven't really tried to get every last mph out of it yet as I'm obviously still learning the boat. I do want to find another 23 mirage and see what those do in the near future . As the boat sits now it rockets right up to 60 without much hesitation or drive trim but at that point I'm already around 5200-5300 rpm. This was with 3/4 fuel and 3 people. I'm pretty confident with the right set of props this should be an easy 65mph boat and quite possibly even crack the 70 mark but we will see.

Finishing the night at one of my favorite restaurants on the lake before the 25 minute cruise back to the launch.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:49 AM
Registered

I sure did! Weather was gorgeous here on Saturday so I spent the majority of the day and well into the evening out on the lake. Had a fantastic time and the boat performed great. Before I went out I ran a bunch of highly concentrated fuel injector cleaner through the system and that seemed to help some but the boat was still stalling quite a bit when pulling back into neutral or idling in gear for a while. The boat was trying to idle around 450 RPM which is obviously way to low so I ended up adjusting the idle up by turning in the throttle stops and that seems to have fixed everything. I'm still not confident that is the real underlying issue but for now it seems to have done the trick.

Performance wise this boat is pretty damn impressive and I haven't really tried to get every last mph out of it yet as I'm obviously still learning the boat. I do want to find another 23 mirage and see what those do in the near future . As the boat sits now it rockets right up to 60 without much hesitation or drive trim but at that point I'm already around 5200-5300 rpm. This was with 3/4 fuel and 3 people. I'm pretty confident with the right set of props this should be an easy 65mph boat and quite possibly even crack the 70 mark but we will see.

Finishing the night at one of my favorite restaurants on the lake before the 25 minute cruise back to the launch.
Sweet. Glad to hear. I poured Techron into the fuel water separator filters and ran it then I also poured a quart of Lucas cleaner most recently. We did a gas pump kettle cove sebago, run in the rain . it was still fun, light rain... responded better on new 91 octane on the way back. too rough with passengers(kids) to keep it WOT. The gas I had in it was previous owner gas 1.5 seasons old
Old 06-19-2016, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Another beautiful weekend here in Michigan so the girlfriend and I along with a couple friends spent all day and evening Saturday out on the lake. The boat performed fantastic as again and even recorded a new top speed of 65mph (well 64.7 gps) with a full tank of gas and 4 people. Ran out of of room but it was still slow climbing. I need to get my hands on a 23 Mirage and see what that does as I was approaching 5400rpm at that point.

ended up staying out later than planned and had to cross the lake at night which is no big deal at all. Only problem is that the Mayflies have hatched and well, I'll let the pictures do the explaining even though they don't really do it justice. It was bad. Really bad...

Look closely at the windshield and you'll start to get an idea of the Mayfly massacre that took place on the boat last night..
Old 06-20-2016, 09:01 AM
Registered

Another beautiful weekend here in Michigan so the girlfriend and I along with a couple friends spent all day and evening Saturday out on the lake. The boat performed fantastic as again and even recorded a new top speed of 65mph (well 64.7 gps) with a full tank of gas and 4 people. Ran out of of room but it was still slow climbing. I need to get my hands on a 23 Mirage and see what that does as I was approaching 5400rpm at that point.

ended up staying out later than planned and had to cross the lake at night which is no big deal at all. Only problem is that the Mayflies have hatched and well, I'll let the pictures do the explaining even though they don't really do it justice. It was bad. Really bad...

Look closely at the windshield and you'll start to get an idea of the Mayfly massacre that took place on the boat last night..
thanks for the update. The 23's would be fine. Mine goes right up on plane with a heavy load no problem. Im wondering if anyone has a dyno sheet on these motors? i havent got mine over 5,ooo rpm with the 23's but i should be able to ....
Old 06-20-2016, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Love It !!!
Old 06-29-2016, 05:18 AM
Registered

I have 2 sets of 23 mirages one being used on my boat and the other as a spare set,so I just got a set of 21's to try so now I can sell a pair of the 23's... you interested?