1995 formula252 br ,performance

Notices
Formula

1995 formula252 br ,performance

Old 06-14-2016, 07:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 formula252 br ,performance

First and foremost ,I have been lurking around these forums as guest for years , that and the scream and fly forums. I am a tech in florida in need of some technical data on a 252 br.The vessel has been repowered a couple years ago with a 496 h.o ,and a bravo 3 x .Current prop set up are solas 26p. The boat after repower was reported as being 70 mph plus.After a few hours of investigating the claims of low power I was quick to find fuel pressure regulator was bad (gen 3 cool fuel ) and subsequently had two bad plugs.After rectifying those two issues I water tested the boat , on plane time was 3-5 secs with 3/4 tank of fuel and two average size adults .Hole shot engine would turn 3400 ish till vessel layed over.Wot I was able to trim out and see 4800 rpm verfied with laptop.Top speed was 56 ish mph.I felt confident that the boat is performing , no trim tab usuage boat was stable yet nimble .After speaking with the owner ,he kept reiterating the fact the boat was 70 mph plus. I cant see that out of this vesell personally. I dont see gaining 15mph by turning another 200 rpm. Owner has no idea of rpms he was turning prior to loss of power only how fast the boat was abe to go.I am hoping there are some people with real world experience with this particular make model,possibly close to same hp power plant that could shed some insite. Rather than reply here to the thread if you could send me a pm that would make it easier for me during the day to check.

Regards Adam
Old 06-14-2016, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by strutter667
First and foremost ,I have been lurking around these forums as guest for years , that and the scream and fly forums. I am a tech in florida in need of some technical data on a 252 br.The vessel has been repowered a couple years ago with a 496 h.o ,and a bravo 3 x .Current prop set up are solas 26p. The boat after repower was reported as being 70 mph plus.After a few hours of investigating the claims of low power I was quick to find fuel pressure regulator was bad (gen 3 cool fuel ) and subsequently had two bad plugs.After rectifying those two issues I water tested the boat , on plane time was 3-5 secs with 3/4 tank of fuel and two average size adults .Hole shot engine would turn 3400 ish till vessel layed over.Wot I was able to trim out and see 4800 rpm verfied with laptop.Top speed was 56 ish mph.I felt confident that the boat is performing , no trim tab usuage boat was stable yet nimble .After speaking with the owner ,he kept reiterating the fact the boat was 70 mph plus. I cant see that out of this vesell personally. I dont see gaining 15mph by turning another 200 rpm. Owner has no idea of rpms he was turning prior to loss of power only how fast the boat was abe to go.I am hoping there are some people with real world experience with this particular make model,possibly close to same hp power plant that could shed some insite. Rather than reply here to the thread if you could send me a pm that would make it easier for me during the day to check.

Regards Adam
56 is about right. the previous owner is confused
Old 06-15-2016, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buddy had a 252 ss with a worked 502 putting out 602hp and was able to get 78 out of it. Now I'm not saying that's smart as i personally wouldn't want to do 78 in a 252, but a stock 496 HO putting out 425 55-60 seems about right.