Fountain to Formula possibly questions

Notices
Formula

Fountain to Formula possibly questions

Old 08-01-2016, 06:39 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
I think most say the later 291's with SBC is about a 70 mph boat. When I bought my 32 I was looking at both and Donzi ZX's.

The ZX felt the largest, the cabin in the formula the nicest. They do have more cockpit then a fountain, they seem to hold the width further forward.

For me it came down to what was going the cleanest I found. All nice boats just each a it different. Fountain always seem to have more gauges, heavy trim tabs, and mechanical indicators.

The others some did some didn't. Had I found a 33ZX for the boating I did at the time would have been the best.

True that's my theory is the newest boat, lowest hours, for the best price. Kind of what Im trying to do is line up what I, so over the next year or so I know what to look for. As it sits I think im looking for late 90s early 00s but at the same time, not opposed to older that has been kept up.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:42 AM
Registered

What would be handy, does have the length and width measurements for the 292 and 291 cockpits. Would be nice if somebody could give those.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would approximate the 292 cockpit to be 6'x6'. I love the bolsters, but they definitely take up a lot of room.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Splitdecision271
I would approximate the 292 cockpit to be 6'x6'. I love the bolsters, but they definitely take up a lot of room.
Me too. my only wish was they would swivel or least rotate 90 degrees, as when parked they become a waste of space as you can only face forward.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:51 AM
Registered

I have actually found that a comfy spot on my 292,when I have people on board hogging up the sun pad space, is sitting on the dash step with my back against the windshield frame and feet resting on top of the bolsters. This way I can still engage in the conversations going on behind me, plus I can see everything going on around me.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Splitdecision271
I have actually found that a comfy spot on my 292,when I have people on board hogging up the sun pad space, is sitting on the dash step with my back against the windshield frame and feet resting on top of the bolsters. This way I can still engage in the conversations going on behind me, plus I can see everything going on around me.
I guess another question on the formulas, haven't been or seen one in a while. On the fountain on the front bulk head the outside, to the right is the drivers spot, middle folding door, and to the left passenger area, really no logical or easy way to climb over the windshield to get to the front, usually means stepping over the windshield from the seat. Do the fastechs have a stepped cabin door or any other sort of steps, and what anchor lockers up front on the fastech or the sr1
Old 08-02-2016, 08:22 AM
Registered

The SR1s and Fastechs both have a step built into the passenger side dash. There is a storage compartment built in and the cover serves 3 purposes. 1) Lid 2) Mirror on the reverse side 3) step to climb up and over the windshield. I also have a step molded into the cockpit on the port side. I never have to step on the seats or helm. See picture below, look for the grooved panel to the left of the cup holder. You can also see the built in step right above the speaker. As for anchor storage, the SR1s do not have an anchor locker and only the 292s, 312s, and 353s came with an integrated anchor locker. Its small, not going to lie. I have to finesse my anchor in there but it does fit and definitely beats having to pull it out of the side cuddy storage or from under the rear bench every time. Yes it gets beat up inside there from the anchor moving around in rough water, but its an anchor locker.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:36 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info. Anchor was a pain on my old fountain. First had to dig it out, second somebody then had to climb over then anchor handed over and walked down. As long as an anchor can get in there. I think some of the newer as in late 90s fountains have the anchor locker.

What about swim steps on the formula.

Want to get back into performance but also want to make the wife happy and make my stress level on the simple things go down.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 333 Likes on 124 Posts

When I was growing up I always dreamed of a beak. My old man had a Donzi and I always saw Fountain's on the lake and envied them from the time I was a little kid. I felt similar about a clean Formula but something about a Fountain grabbed me.

Now that I'm older things have changed and its mostly because out on my lake I go out there and there are 14 Fountains tied up together and several of my friends have them. A nice 353 or 382 Formula is rare where I am...especially a new one with good power in it. I know that is different on places like LOTO and out on the east coast where there are big Formula dealers. I've also come to appreciate Formula for their customer service and build quality. It's not million dollar custom boat rigging quality....but its pretty good and I've been happy with how my boat is built. I've never had the pleasure of having a Fountain...so honestly my opinion has no value

Last edited by DRAG; 08-02-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by soldier4402
Thanks for the info. Anchor was a pain on my old fountain. First had to dig it out, second somebody then had to climb over then anchor handed over and walked down. As long as an anchor can get in there. I think some of the newer as in late 90s fountains have the anchor locker.

What about swim steps on the formula.

Want to get back into performance but also want to make the wife happy and make my stress level on the simple things go down.
You mean like a swim ladder? On most Fastech models there is a compartment built into the swim platform which house a 3 step telescoping ladder. I also find it just as easy to step on tie bar on the outdrives and pull myself up using the grab handles . SR1s and some 1st gen fastech models had a fold out swim ladder mounted directly on the swim platform. I'm sure if you ask those who had them, many have stubbed a toe or 2 on them. The concealed swim ladder, to me at least along with the anchor locker, was one of the many reasons why I ended up going with my 292.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.