330 ss info/help

Notices
Formula

330 ss info/help

Old 08-23-2016, 06:19 AM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts
Default 330 ss info/help

Hoping the Formula group here might be able to help a bit? With the recent daylighting of, at least to me, some Formula construction issues, I wanted to ask: I have a friend under contract to purchase an 03 330 ss out of Fla. He had a survey done and it was given a structural clean bill of health but there is damage to the bottom of the boat. It is a roughly human hand size area just foward of the transom where the gel has "popped" off. Just forward of that is some type of gouging that could have been caused by impact which resulted in gel peeling/flaking off under drag but when seeing the pics and knowing what I have read on here about several Fasttechs it got me to wondering; Are the 330ss built with the same type of grid construction as Fasttechs? If so, could this bottom damage be liner separation manifesting it self in bottom damage caused by flex from lack of support? There is also a pretty substantial crack through the back of the hatch about 6" long that the surveyor said was quite common with Formulas, or at least the 330ss.

Thanks in advance for any helpful info.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

No, 330s do not have the grid system. They have a standard stringer system like most boats in them.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 330's have the fiberglass over wood grid construction. the issue that you speak of would not be any different whether it were a fastech with the grid/liner or the Sun Sport with the traditional grid. It sounds like an impact that was not repaired properly, if at all.

Not sure of the 'crack' in the 'hatch' that you speak of . . . There are 2 areas of support along the port side of the cockpit on the 280's and 330's that tend to develop cracking in the floor. One near the sliding hatch to the cabin and one near the step up to the stern access. Each of these areas has a fairly high concentration of load as it rests upon the stringer grid versus the starboard side of the cockpit, which has its load distributed over a wider area of grid.

Overall, what is the condition of the boat? The fact that hull damage was allowed to exist during the selling process is concerning.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:52 AM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

Thank you. With some follow up, the surveyor actually called Formula and confirmed what you did.