Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
Hard to plane Formula 292 Fastech Race Edition (single) >

Hard to plane Formula 292 Fastech Race Edition (single)

Notices
Formula

Hard to plane Formula 292 Fastech Race Edition (single)

Old 08-24-2016, 12:47 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard to plane Formula 292 Fastech Race Edition (single)

Hello, I have a Formula 292 Fastech Factory 1 Edition - single engine . The boat has always been slow to plane . Is there anyone here who has experience of the boat ? Original sits a 500 efi but I have renovated the whole boat and there is a new Cheif 750 EFI and ITS transom linked to IMCO SCX drive now. It is easier to plane now but it's hard to get up with the "right" propeller. The boat feels powerless but as soon as it comes up in the plan then all the power come . The boat does not weigh much and is "high on the water" when it comes up in the plane .

My thoughts:
The fuel pressure is 43 psi , so it should have enough fuel ?
X - dimention too high ? prop shaft is an inch below the bottom of the boat .
Air Steps counter when to up the plane ?
Elektric error
No cabin - weigh too little in front of the boat ?

I would be grateful if anyone who knows these boats. I know that Formula has made ​​10 of these .
Old 08-24-2016, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What prop are you running? You may need a 5 blade, talking with a prop expert may be beneficial.

Are you using some tab?, that should help and I assume you have K planes.

Curious, how fast is the boat? As you probably know, any large single engine boat isn't going to just pop up on plane.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:04 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't realize there were 10 built! I'm somewhat familiar with one of these boats, (raced against it in the Great Lakes Silver Cup series in the APBA days).
They were light layup boats with a very high X-dimension, (probably 19"" from keel to crankshaft center-line) to be more competitive in the Factory-1 class. As such, they are not going to "jump" on plane, and will probably cavitate the prop with a lot of throttle when in that transition (getting on plane), especially with a full load of fuel and seats full of passengers.
A good suggestion above is looking at a 5- blade prop, Maximus?). You can also look into a drive spacer. You will lose some top speed but bottom end will be more responsive, you can stay on-plane at lower speeds and handling will probably improve a little. Speaking of, how does it handle at speed? Any chine walk? Did you get a top speed with the HP500 setup?
Good luck! Should be a beautiful boat. Show some pics!

Last edited by Gordo; 08-24-2016 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it blowing out when trying to get on plane or is it just dragging and slowly building RPM?
If it is blowing out what I did was take the trim rams apart and shortened the inner tubes by 3/4 inch. With this modification it will allow the drive to trim down for more negative trim. You will have to grind in a few places and cut the wings off a little on the bottom of the helmet. My Daytona wouldn't begin to get on plane without this mod.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:28 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

If you're trying props, like Mr Maine and Gordo suggested above, I'd try the 5 blade for a little more stern lift. Might help out of the hole....
Old 08-25-2016, 02:30 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Just an FYI: Maximus props can be had at 15 5/8 diameter whereas Bravo props are 15 1/4. I had a set of full diameter Maximus props and the diameter difference was noticable IMO.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:46 PM
Registered

Hydromotive p5x is a great prop I'm very pleased.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:54 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1464
Hydromotive p5x is a great prop I'm very pleased.
Although, The Hydromotive props seemed to have less bow-lift and more stern-lift. That may not be a positive move if the boat already has a higher X-dimension.
But, if you have a Hydromotive P5 available, Try it!
as I always say... I'll try anything twice
Old 08-25-2016, 06:54 PM
Registered

Might be a stupid question but is the bottom clean?
Old 08-26-2016, 03:33 PM
Registered
Gold Member

This weekend , I drove 82 mph with a Bravo One lab 30p (1:50 ratio) with 5000 rpm ( 5500 rpm is max for the engine) I'll keep to break in the engine so there is much more to give. I have large 380 k- plans and using them, To morrow i going to try a PSX-5 28 pitch.

Last edited by On the Runn; 08-26-2016 at 03:49 PM. Reason: delite

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.