Want a dry formula sr1 >

Want a dry formula sr1

Notices
Formula

Want a dry formula sr1

Old 09-14-2016, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Everything is for sale at the right price. Haha. Motors are still out right now, transom items almost finished up,start prepping bilge and paint bilge soon.

Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Jake
So soon????
Old 09-14-2016, 10:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tpenfield
the 'best' way may be an infrared camera. With a little bit of access you could take a core sample from the foam, but that is somewhat a 'destructive' test and would not be done as part of a survey. Checking the lower part of the engine room bulkhead for elevated moisture is another way to check.
This one sr1 I looked at the lower part of the bulkhead would show over 30% moisture after a bit of use , then the owner would dry it out somehow so it would only register 11% moisture. I'm worried water is trapped sloshing around in that fuel cell compartment and rot has started???
Old 09-15-2016, 04:38 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=tpenfield;4481283]$8K . . . approximately.[/QUOTE
I have read and followed Audiofns threads about a sr1 rebuild that were very informative. I am currently looking at a very nice 311 sr1 with moisture in the foam around the fuel tank area. Both bulkheads fore and aft the cockpit area appear to be in good shape still. Engine stringers and Transom are dry and have no issues yet. The rear bulkhead shows over 30% moisture after little use then the owner is able to dry it out to 11% some how. What kind of cost would be incurred to change the fuel tank, wet foam and any rotten stringers or bulkheads in that area. I would probably job this task out. Is it worth it??? I really like the looks of the sr1. It already has a good trailer, new engines, re apolstered cockpit, new imron paint. Looks sharp. But only for the right total price. Any guidance would be much appreciated. Or I could skip this all together and look for a newer dry boat. Don't know if 8gs will cover everything.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:58 AM
Registered

If it is just the fuel tank and foam, then it is not too bad.

I am wondering about how the moisture in the foam was detected? Also about the 30% moisture now down to 11%?

Typically what happens is that water from condensation due to daily temperature changes seeps down through the foam at a very slow rate (since it is closed cell foam). the water accumulates along the keel and builds up over time. The moisture in the bulkhead usually gets it from the moisture that is building up in the fuel tank bay. The stringers (both the main stringers and the engine room stringers) get moisture from the bulkhead. It is a sequential process that starts in the fuel tank bay.

Assuming that it would be just the fuel tank and foam, and the bulkheads (fore & aft of the tank) can be dried out. I did the same sort of thing on my 1991 242.

The large deck hatch the covers the fuel tank would be removed
The foam around the sides of the tank would need to be cut out
The tank would need to be 'popped' out of the remaining foam
The fuel tank bay would need to be cleaned out and dried out
Assume that a new tank would be in order ($1500 - $2000)
Barrier coat the tank
Re-install the tank
Re-foam the tank installation
Trim the foam
Re-connect and test everything
Re-install the deck hatch

So, I'm thinking you might have 60 hours of labor and $2000 - $2500 in material

If the bulkhead is not salvageable, then it is a whole different ballgame.

There is a guy on this forum ('shakeanbake') taking apart a 1990 292 SR1 for a full restoration and he may find similar issues.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:29 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 493 Likes on 229 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Jake View Post

So soon????

He hasn't used it since last year...might as well get it to someone that will use it....
Old 09-16-2016, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by badmonkey
Quote Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Jake View Post

So soon????

He hasn't used it since last year...might as well get it to someone that will use it....
I'll be more than happy to put it back together and splash it.

BTW, What's the holdup??
Old 09-16-2016, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My mechanic. No - we didn't pull the motors until January. Supposed to have it done much earlier in the season but my mechanic got involved in some family stuff and then I have been busy spending time with family and baby, camping or using the four wheeler on the weekends. If I wasn't doing that, I was out of town or on a friends boat. It also doesn't help we are in the middle of moving to a new house that we renovated the entire house. I didn't want to rush it and put it back together, motors were fired on the stands about a month ago, only thing left is prepping and painting bilge and droping the motors back in. However, after this weekend, I am gone 2 weekends in a row so I'm not rushing it, boat is inside doing just fine haha

Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Jake
I'll be more than happy to put it back together and splash it.

BTW, What's the holdup??