New guy with 242 questions >

New guy with 242 questions

Notices
Formula

New guy with 242 questions

Old 11-17-2016, 06:50 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks John. I reckon I'll see what the lowest dollar is on it is when I get there. Maybe it'll come on home for about 4500 or so. I just hope it isn't rotten.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

As far as a survey, you might try contacting Chatman;s School in Stewart, Fl. They have the training class for surveys maybe you could get a deal using their students.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:59 AM
Registered

thanks. thats a good idea
Old 11-18-2016, 11:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The set up with the blocks for storage looks daring. And bold.
Or hes showing off the bulletproof stringers, if its still square.
Not all of those still are.
That one looks pretty nice.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:12 PM
Registered

Hopefully it will be. Long ride to find out but a little fuel and a ride is worth it to find out.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 58 Posts

I looked at dozens of boats when I was searching. Wasted hours and gas on turd after turd. Dont get discouraged if this isnt the one, you'll find it. I finally found mine in Conn. and drove 10 hrs one way to buy it. Since then i have slowly replaced nearly everything. These boats are not easy to own but they are worth the trouble. You will love a classic 242 and especially after you put your own tweaks and mods on it. Best of luck.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:19 AM
Registered

Yeah this is a 10 hr ride as well. I have poured hours of love and effort into my little 82 model glastron. All boats are like a child(lots of time required, and expensive). I just like the lines of these older boats and something sticks out to me about a 242. Maybe this will be a good one.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Red. I (my parents) bought a 84 242 SBC several years ago for about the same price. The boat was always a Michigan boat. When I looked at it, the boat ran good and looked good but the bottom had black bottom paint on it. Not a big deal because the boat now sits in their boat house in the water during the summer. Here is the list of things I found wrong with the boat thru the years.
The front seat wood is rotting and the screws are pulling out.
The electrical is always a problem in older boats. Make sure it hasn't been jury rigged together.
The cabin door latch screws are pulling out of the lexan.
The front windshield glass becomes loose. I had to rebed both sides this summer.
Original gauges ware flaky.
Original shifter was stiff but probably because of the older cables. New cables will run you about $20.00 ea on ebay and you'll need 4.
The swim platform flexes A LOT with only two supports.

As with any older boat check these areas.
All the holes in the transom below the water line WILL eventually leak water.
Check the outdrive play between each one. Since they are connected with a internal tie bar and controlled with cable steering these components are subject to a lot of wear.
Like someone else stated the outer stringers are subject to rot because of poor sealing when someone puts a screw into it and doesn't seal it.
Inspect the outdrive bellows and shift cable bellows. Current market price for a bellow repair is $750/ side. I just did mine on my twin I/O Sea Ray and its not fun.
Gimble bearing - does it have excessive noise when turning.
I still think $6K is still a dam good price for the boat. It has a top that looks in good condition.
You have to remember something about older boat. They all eventually will have problems, some small, some big, but in the end your farther ahead in fixing a older boat.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:46 PM
Registered

Thanks for the reply. I've spent all day today removing the board from the trailer, removing hubs to repack bearings. Tomorrow hopefully can get the hubs and wheels back on and carpet new boards for it.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:40 PM
Registered

Well, found some pitting in the bearings once i got them cleaned up. Sent my wife to the local bearing house and they wanted $348 for bearings!!!
I decided to pull the hubs I just put on my car hauler last week and use them for the trip. When I get home I'll order some new bearings for the existing hubs for about $50...
The boards on the trailer being true 4x8 pt pine rough cut were kind of a pain to locate but found some today and she picked those up as well. Hopefully this evening before it gets dark I can at least get the hubs swapped and wheels on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.