Formula

New to me Formula 311

Old 02-14-2017, 06:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,231 Likes on 686 Posts
Default New to me Formula 311

Hey everyone!

I'm not making it quite official just yet, but as I know you all have seen from my Martinsville thread, I should have a "new to me," 1988 311 SR1 come Saturday.

I think I've looked through pretty much every 311-related thread on OSO, but I haven't found much related to having 502 Mag MPIs in front of the TRS drives (she was a 420 TRS boat originally). I'm guessing that she's probably good for upper 60's? Formula sent me the speed chart for a 1990 with 502s, and they claim 70, but I don't think they take into account the transmission. The max usable RPM of the 502 Mag MPI is probably the limiting factor.

Anyway, the boat is outfitted nicely; she even has a nice set of CMI headers and corresponding tailpipes. With the Silent Thunder modded (if it hasn't been already), I'll bet she'll sound nice!

So 311 owners.... what have your long-term experiences been like with this boat? Always wanted one, and looks like the dream will be coming true here in a few days!

Last edited by TomZ; 02-16-2017 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 493 Likes on 229 Posts

Tom,

Congrats !!! Sure hope you bring that thing to the Chesapeake Bay Family and Friends event in April. Make sure to share pics with us all. .

Cheers,
Chris
Old 02-14-2017, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That's the plan Chris!
Old 02-16-2017, 04:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Crap
Old 02-17-2017, 05:55 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That doesn't sound like good news is coming
Old 02-17-2017, 07:02 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Weather issue or mechanical issue?
Old 02-17-2017, 07:17 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Major mechanical. The thinking here is that they probably winterized the boat incorrectly. Two leaking sea strainers, one leaking raw water pump, and now the starboard engine doesn't run right. A leak down test wasn't encouraging. No one seems interested in fixing it either. Formula asked them to ask me to make an offer on the boat as is. What a waste.

I have video of the boat running like a sewing machine from right before it was traded in.... I am beyond pissed off about the situation. I even passed on other opportunities because this boat was a known entity among folks in the CBPBA.

I made a fair offer on the boat considering that it looks like it'll need an engine (at minimum heads). If they go with it, I'll consider buying and getting her fixed. The reality though is that I don't see them going for it. The word is that since Formula has no interest in fixing the boat, they'll just drag it back to Indiana once the deal is closed on the owner's new Formula.

Again, what a waste of time.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:25 AM
Registered

Pardon my ignorance, but why would formula be interesting in repairing an 88 model boat? I get your frustration. I hate it for you man. It's all part of BOAT you know it as well as anyone I suppose. Maybe this happened so another nicer 311 can be in your driveway in the future.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'll rephrase...

It's more that the dealer doesn't want to mess with it since it's a deal between the owner and Formula. Formula will take it and do whatever with it because of how the deal is structured, and the dealer was only going to make a small margin on offering it for sale on Formula's behalf. It's complicated. So there's no incentive to fixing it up even if they'd have someone offering to pay full price.

I understand that things happen, and that another boat will come along, however, this one was supposed to be really worth it; well taken care of by the same owner for almost 30 years, upgraded power, new stuff throughout. It was looking to be exactly what I was hoping to find, and it sucks that someone's carelessness (seems to have) messed up the works.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:50 AM
Registered

I hate when people's lack of knowledge ruins something that was once great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.