FormulaGuard >

FormulaGuard

Notices
Formula

FormulaGuard

Old 03-04-2017, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

That being the case I would have the injectors sent out and flow tested. If the injector doesn't supply enough fuel you will start running lean.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is probably the best idea but even with that being said, the O2 sensors should pick that up and adjust the pulse width of the injector. The O2 should kick a fault for too lean.

I agree that I need to find the root cause however, I thought that was the purpose of the FormulaGuard. It does surprise me how very little is covered by the warranty that we do pay for when purchasing a premium boat.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:34 AM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

What motors do you have that are running closed loop on the exhaust? I know many have added Catalysts and O2's, knowing the engine me package may be helpful.

Last edited by snowrunner; 03-05-2017 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Not an expert with the sensors, but I'm thinking that the O2 sensor reads the combined exhaust of all cylinders. So if one is lean and if the ECM enriches all slightly, the overall reading may read within range. Also don't think the O2 sensors are that sensitive, it just needs to be within a range.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:34 AM
Registered

I have the 350 mag ECT. Both exhausts have the catalyst on them.

The O2's do run in a range and they are pretty sensitive. You are correct in they do measure the collective 4 cylinders on each side of the engine.

Again, this post is more about the FormulaGuard and not necessarily about my engine.

It has been repaired and it is back running. I have run a bunch of test and will certainly be monitoring engine performance much closer and use a boroscope occasionally to view inside the cylinders.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

I had an issue with trim sending units on mine about 2 months before the Formula guard ran out. Took it to the Formula dealer expecting to pay for the fix myself, which was over $500. Formula dealer at LOTO looked up my hull ID, called Formula and everything was covered no questions asked. That was in 2013 though.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:42 AM
Registered

I am guessing that was Formula Boats of Missouri. If so, those guys rock!!!! Great people there and great service. From sales all the way to service and the gas docks!!!!

I wish I lived closer so they could have done the repairs on mine.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Yeap. It was Formula Boats of Missouri. A guy from mid Illinois I know, Joe Gibbs runs the place. They are a great dealership, and Joe is very fair to deal with. I was glad to see Formula has started using Verados on their new boats. That means Formula Boats of Missouri will have VRod technicians moving forward.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:15 PM
Registered

The folks at Formula Boats of Missouri are amazing. I will certainly be buying another boat from them....350CBR!

Please know....I am very thankful for the ideas and directions to tackle and determine the root cause of my failure. I will certainly be checking the injectors and probably running at least the 89 octane to prevent any possible detonation.

Also, Formula as a builder is incredible and the people there are great! The quality is second to none and I love my boat.

The concern was and is Formula Guard. It sucks that it has the Formula name on it as it is an outside company. While they (AMT AKA Formula Guard) did pay a claim as Mentalpause stated, I had to cover the cost of about $9,000 for an engine repair. I wish AMT (warranty company) or Merc would back the product. AMT basically said "not our problem" and found a way out. With all those exclusions....it is a miracle they have ever paid a claim.

Great forum and thank you all for the great input and feedback!!!
Old 12-13-2017, 11:56 PM
Registered

Received 509 Likes on 203 Posts

I put two different claims into Formula Guard. One claim they paid and one claim was partially paid. I called the Adjuster at Formula Guard to hear the explanation of why the other pieces of equipment where not covered. It seemed like, over the phone, if he was having a good day, he would cover it, Bad day, not. No explanation was given to me other than they didn't cover it. Naturally I looked at the exemptions and didn't find my problem listed.

I also called Formula. The rep for my area there is like pulling teeth for help also. Wish I could talk to an engineer instead of a-go-between,

My old lady and I love the boat, don't get me wrong. But if customer care falls flat, no matter how great the boat is. It will be the way of the Dodo.

Basically you're at there mercy.