353 FasTech Handling Question

Notices
Formula

353 FasTech Handling Question

Old 03-22-2017, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 353 FasTech Handling Question

I have a 2008 353 FasTech and the K-Planes are mounted horizontal (parallel to the water) rather than in line with the V of the bottom.
When running even at moderate speed if the boat starts to lean off to one side and I correct with tab after a while it will take off and lean to the other direction.
It does not seem want to be stable. My previous two boats had the tabs mounted lined up with the V on the hull and did not respond like this.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks in advance.
Dave
Old 03-23-2017, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Another way to correct lean is to slightly trim one of your engines up or down to counter the lean, many times caused by wind direction. The benefit of this approach is you keep your K-planes at the same location on both sides of the boat which keeps the boat more stable if you hit a rogue wave.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:38 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Mentalpause
Another way to correct lean is to slightly trim one of your engines up or down to counter the lean, many times caused by wind direction. The benefit of this approach is you keep your K-planes at the same location on both sides of the boat which keeps the boat more stable if you hit a rogue wave.
Very true. Once I had this explained to me, I practiced it and rarely ever use(d) tabs in differential positions except in really strong crosswinds.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Very true. Once I had this explained to me, I practiced it and rarely ever use(d) tabs in differential positions except in really strong crosswinds.
Yeah, me too. Especially at LOTO on a snotty day where you never know when you might hit a rogue wave with one tab offset from the other and have an unpredictable outcome.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:21 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Had an 05 353 with 525s and ITS, tabs were mounted at an angle from the factory. On really gusty days the boat did have a lean that was odd. It was hard sometimes to get out of it once in. That boat was very dialed in and ran very good numbers so I just attributed it to the design and drove thru it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]565815[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]565816[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 353 FasTech Handling Question-20150803_185204.jpg   353 FasTech Handling Question-boat-3-resize.jpg  
Old 03-23-2017, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input and will try it next time out.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Naw, It has more to do with the drives hitting the tabs mounted parallel with the hull. Mounted level the interference is eliminated
Old 03-25-2017, 08:40 AM
Where To
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, I personally would never try to correct wind by counter trimming an outdrive. If you are dropping a trim tab and the boat is rolling over too far, you are over trimming. It take a couple of seconds for the boat to react to your input.

Try making slight adjustments to the tabs, a little goes a long way, you don't need much to get a reaction. Putting
undo pressure on your steering and tie bar by counter trimming could have negative results.

Dave
Old 03-25-2017, 09:03 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by axapowell
So, I personally would never try to correct wind by counter trimming an outdrive. If you are dropping a trim tab and the boat is rolling over too far, you are over trimming. It take a couple of seconds for the boat to react to your input.

Try making slight adjustments to the tabs, a little goes a long way, you don't need much to get a reaction. Putting
undo pressure on your steering and tie bar by counter trimming could have negative results.

Dave
Thanks Dave. I guess maybe I am not waiting long enough for a reaction.
Dave K.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by axapowell

Dave
Professionals in the boat industry taught me that little trick. As you indicated with the tabs you are just making minor tweak adjustments that don't put undue stress on anything.

In many cases your trim button doesn't raise both drives perfectly synchronized anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.