bilge pumps

Notices
Formula

bilge pumps

Old 06-15-2017, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bilge pumps

I have a 1999 312 and can someone explain how the bilge pumps are supposed to work it has the factory setup. There is a pump on each side, starboard and port with a "sure bail" float mounted next to the one on the port side. But there is another "sure bail" float switch mounted on a small shelf at the same elevation as the center keel, on the port side also. The switch on the dash turns on the starboard pump (manual). Nothing works off of the floats. I just am looking for an opinion as where to start looking.

Thanks
Chuckj
Old 06-15-2017, 10:39 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

if nothing works off the floats i'd be checking the wiring. From what you have just said i would guess that one pump is the main and the other is the emergency pump. The Starboard pump with the float next to it should be the main pump....and the port side should be hard wired to that upper float to automatically turn on in a high water situation. Also check your switch(s)....."normally" you would have the bilge switch labeled Auto/Off/Manual when on the "Auto" setting the bilges should work off the floats.....when in the manual mode they are always on....off is of course off......if you have a switch that is only an ON/OFF then the pump float should be hardwired to power and will kick the pump on automatically no matter if the switch is on or not...

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-16-2017, 06:09 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Lower switch is for the pumps .... second is high water alarm ....
Attached Thumbnails bilge pumps-2017-06-16-1-.png   bilge pumps-2017-06-16.png  

Last edited by offthefront; 06-16-2017 at 06:28 AM.