272 Alphas to Bravos???

Notices
Formula

272 Alphas to Bravos???

Old 06-23-2017, 12:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 272 Alphas to Bravos???

Anybody done this on a 272? Looking at an alpha boat and I have complete bravo setups to convert. I read it was only 2 holes difference but do engines have to come out, do I need to change cables etc?
Old 06-23-2017, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by db72
Anybody done this on a 272? Looking at an alpha boat and I have complete bravo setups to convert. I read it was only 2 holes difference but do engines have to come out, do I need to change cables etc?
Definitely going to have to pull engines to get the drives completely off.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:39 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Obviously the Bravos are a stronger drive but you are going to lose some speed switching to the them. Atleast that Is what my research has always came up with. Is your 272 twin SBC or BBC?
Old 06-26-2017, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes take engines out, drill two holes, you wont need the shift interrupter anymore with bravos. Are the alphas counter rotating? If not you will need/want to change the shifting to counter rotate the bravos, cant remember if all shifters can do that.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by db72
Did it on a 255 Liberator...You change just about everything...transom plate, coupler, bellhousing, add external raw water pump and on and on. Look up my thread: "'79 Formula 255 Liberator Update" ...I take you all the way through it A~Z.

Good Luck !!
Old 07-14-2017, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found your thread. The boat I was looking at with alphas sold the day before I got there (supposedly). I am just going to find a bravo one. I am in route now to look at one.