Looking for some help on a restoration project

Notices
Formula

Looking for some help on a restoration project

Old 07-28-2017, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for some help on a restoration project

So I have picked up probably the most unusual storage find that I have since picked up. Basically it's an abandoned Formula SR1 302 (I think) I am not 100% sure of this because according to Formula themselves the HIN doesn't match what any records they have. But the boat was abandoned for 6+ years and I now have picked it up. BUT it's in rough shape and even thats a hard understatement. However, the main parts are all there except for the motors, drive plates and outdrives. The seats need to be rebuilt but have all the parts, the dash is all there, and the steering wheel, shifters linkages, trim tabs, and all the interior is there even the bimini top frames is still there in tact, but in a massive disarray. In fact it even has the original keys still.

Now what I am trying to decide what to do is how to rebuild it... Here's the goodish news, the boat only had 26.5 hours on it before the motors were pulled and the boat put into storage over 10 years ago before that I know nothing of the boat's history. But there is no hull damage and the fiberglass is in all things considered very good shape I am very sure that a very good cleaning will bring out alot of the cosmetic issues. The rest will go away after I decided to either wrap it in vinyl or to re-gel coat it. My plan is to make it look more modern in the inside so I will be using tan quilted vinyl seating, and sunbathing pad. Im planning on redoing the floor with SeaDeck, and I am getting a custom Swim Platform made up to complete the rear.

The plan is/will be to repower it ideally with twin 454's and maybe a blower for each to get upwards of 500 HP that's good for a reliable daily runner. Then I am looking to source out a pair of twin prop Bravo 3's to complete the outdrives. The goal is to get it to do min 80 MPH and as close to 100 MPH as possible without working to hard on it first year.

These are the pics of the boat as she was at the storage, this is not my first rodeo albeit this is the most fargone boat I will have ever undertaken. But I think in the end I maybe finding it well worth the time if there is no other physical damage that I will have to contend with.

What I could use some help with is to determine where I can locate some 454's or 502's or worst case a pair of 396's for a decent deal, or ideally where can I locate some online auctions or places to locate wrecked boats, salvages etc to get a complete motor and outdrive assembly from. I picked up my Sea Ray Sundeck from an auction site that's no longer around now but it was originally purchased with a blown 5.7 and outdrive, I rebuilt it and was on the water in less than a month. I want to have this boat done by next season. All in all I will be rebuilding the boat with my two boys, and it's pretty much exactly what my father and I did together when I was about their age, so the money I expect to be spending on this maybe into the 20k plus range if I pay retail for everything but I have alot of things I will be doing on my own so keep it under the 30k most of the money will be going into the motors and outdrives, all the other items like the seating I am going to get a pro to do the seats and some of the other things we will do.

Oh one last thing, I think that this is an 1980 boat, however the HIN last 3 is 801, Which has caused some confusion because some say that the last 2 designates the year, whereas it doesn't look as a Formula from 2001 would look but more along the lines of a 1980's. But whats your two cents.

But any pointers suggestions or recommendations from ones who have done similar things I want to know if I can repower it with the Bravo 3's should I refiberglass and reinforce the transom? Should I look at refiberglassing any areas of the boat due to the water sitting in it for so long? And where can I find a couple of motors. I have been looking but seems like the 454's and 502's are non-existant now. I have tried even automobile wreckers and not finding anything in Canada so looking now in the USA. Thanks for the pointers.

PS I tried to post the pictures of the boat, but the site wont let me until I have ten posts.....
Old 07-28-2017, 07:22 PM
Registered

Last edited by CaptainRon.ca; 07-28-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:23 PM
Registered

Last edited by CaptainRon.ca; 07-28-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:24 PM
Registered

Last edited by CaptainRon.ca; 07-28-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:24 PM
Registered

Old 07-28-2017, 07:25 PM
Registered

Old 07-28-2017, 07:26 PM
Registered

Last edited by CaptainRon.ca; 07-28-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:27 PM
Registered

Old 07-28-2017, 07:27 PM
Registered

Old 07-28-2017, 07:28 PM
Registered

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.