Hydraulic steering for 292

Notices
Formula

Hydraulic steering for 292

Old 09-11-2017, 12:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydraulic steering for 292

I am tired of the slack in my steering system on my '08 292. I had the cable replaced, but it did not help much. I am considering a hydraulic conversion, I am not familiar with any of the systems available, so I thought this forum would be a good place to start. I assume hydraulic steering is superior and worth the expense. Any suggestions?
Old 09-11-2017, 07:37 AM
Registered

Go with Imco. By far the highest quality. Rams and attaching parts look much better looks wise than all other brands . The fit and finish is awesome and never had a minute of problems with parts or install. To save some money buy the converted teleflex tilt hydraulic helm from Latham marine. It is the same style you have now and what formula uses so it is a direct bolt in to what you have now. The difference in steering is night and day with zero play in the steering. Jeff wurl
Old 09-11-2017, 08:19 AM
Registered
VIP Member

The imco helm will fit the exact cut out for the stock helm. I used the mayfiar by hardin and while it is a nice kit, having to fab a plate to make the helm and valve unit mount to the dash took all the savings away. Also like mentioned the transom kit is much cleaner on the imco than the mayfair.

LC
Old 09-11-2017, 08:26 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,038 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Imco Steering Helm, steering rams, & hoses, new & bargain priced here! | eBay
Old 09-11-2017, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I cannot speak for the other brands out there, but I just installed an IMCO setup on my Cigarette this year and can echo the comments of others in regards to quality and workmanship of the product. Top notch. Also, I liked the transom cylinder brackets with integral hose connections - gives the back of the boat a real nice clean look. I will also add customer support was great. I had a few questions along the way and when I called, Ron answered the phone directly and was a wealth of knowledge and helped me out.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rvander68
I cannot speak for the other brands out there, but I just installed an IMCO setup on my Cigarette this year and can echo the comments of others in regards to quality and workmanship of the product. Top notch. Also, I liked the transom cylinder brackets with integral hose connections - gives the back of the boat a real nice clean look. I will also add customer support was great. I had a few questions along the way and when I called, Ron answered the phone directly and was a wealth of knowledge and helped me out.
I agree and when I had an issue with my install he was outstanding in getting my used system up and running.

YOU NEED TO DO THIS TO YOUR 292. It is a completely different boat with full hydo. They should have never built one without. I can't believe that they even let the 353 go out without it standard.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

I had Imco full hydraulic added to a 280 Velocity. Looked and performed great for me. My mechanic was also impressed with it and said it was a easy install. Imco became his go to steering system when he needed one for a customer.

My current Velocity has Zeigler dual ram steering and that is also a quality system. I have heard that their customer service is very good but have not had a reason to contact them.

Padraig

Last edited by Padraig; 09-11-2017 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Dam predictive text
Old 09-11-2017, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by COOPS
I agree and when I had an issue with my install he was outstanding in getting my used system up and running.

YOU NEED TO DO THIS TO YOUR 292. It is a completely different boat with full hydo. They should have never built one without. I can't believe that they even let the 353 go out without it standard.
No twin engine performance boat should come without it. The stock stuff wears out quickly and excessive play becomes an issue.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:19 PM
Registered

Useful info, thanks.

Last edited by dp9650; 09-12-2017 at 01:34 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:20 PM
Registered

Thanks for the responses, now I have direction to head towards. It is nice to see the consensus on the Imco product. I know tractors and combines, and have lived in the tournament boat world till now. I am liking the go faster boat, but the steering has been one area that is less than impressive, and it sounds like this should be a cure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.