Single Step Hull Driving Tips?

Notices
Formula

Single Step Hull Driving Tips?

Old 10-19-2022, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Single Step Hull Driving Tips?

I know this site doesn't get a lot of traffic anymore but figured I'd throw this out there.

I just picked up a 2000 Fastech 271 with a single step. First stepped hull boat I've owned. Any driving tips to do different from a straight hull?

Leave drive trimmed out when turning or tuck in?

Can you do a hard turn like in a straight hull or will it spin out?

I've only run it once so far and only for a short time. I'll take it out one more time next week before I put it away for winter so won't get to play with it for a while. Want to be ready for next summer though.

Old 10-19-2022, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 504 Likes on 279 Posts

Leave it trimmed out, I don't know about your model specifically on how it's balanced and what it's limits would be.
Old 10-19-2022, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 436 Likes on 210 Posts

Any guidance from your Formula manual?

Here in Fountain land it is VERY specific to maintain neutral trim when turning.

From the Fountain Sport Manual:

"ASIDE FROM LOW SPEED OPERATION, AND PARTICULARLY IN BOATS WITH LARGER STEPS, THERE IS NO REASON TO LOWER THE DRIVES TO LESS THAN NEUTRAL WHEN TURNING. ™REMEMBER, ON A STEP BOTTOM BOAT AT SPEED, LOWERING THE DRIVES BELOW NEUTRAL CHANGES THE THRUST ANGLE IN SUCH A WAY AS TO CHANGE THE PRESSURE ON THE STERN SECTION OF THE BOAT, CAUSING A LOSS OF ADHESION, AND CREATING AN UNSTABLE CONDITION THAT IS EXAGGERATED DRAMATICALLY WHEN TURNING."
The following 2 users liked this post by techman:
rak rua (10-19-2022), resurrected (10-20-2022)
Old 10-19-2022, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts

Correct, you don't have to trim down to throw it in to a turn. I have a 292 FasTech. I throw it into HARD fast turns all the time. Of course I also have twim ram IMCO full hydro steering. (LOVE it, love it, love it) Previously it would steer like a drunken cow on the end of a 20 foot rope. Now it steers like my Tesla. You can spin the wheel with your pinky and it will hold any heading at any speed you want.

I've also found you need a lot LESS trim than other boat's I've operated. On my Chris Craft 245 LTD I'd trim it way up to get max top speed. On my 292, it doesn't take much to make it ride smooth. any higher (on the trim) and it just slips the props. RPMs go up, but no speed gains.

All boats are different, just give it a drive. adhering to the warning above.
The following users liked this post:
techman (10-19-2022)
Old 10-19-2022, 02:44 PM
Registered

you need a lot LESS trim
Also correct! Let the steps do their job. Trimming to the moon for non-step boats reduces drag by keeping as much of the hull out of the water at speed. Steps reduce that hydrodynamic drag by design in neutral trim. Keep them neutral!

Old 10-19-2022, 05:12 PM
Registered

the other thing I noticed: when the water is too smooth (right?!) like glass. the boat 'sticks' to the water and it feels like you're dragging a prop or something, you lose a few mph and the hull feels 'off'.

1-2 foot chop and my hull shines and rides amazing. but smooth as glass and it gets worse. (but when is it ever crazy flat?)

I should have gotten more videos this summer. I don't think I took any.

https://www.boatingmag.com/stepped-hull-vs-v-hull-0/

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; 10-19-2022 at 05:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
masi242 (11-13-2022)
Old 10-19-2022, 08:52 PM
Registered

Good information. Thanks. Especially about not needing to trim out so much. I was playing with the trim and did notice that when trimming up, it didn't feel like it was freeing up like in a straight hull boat. I was wondering why. I'll have to keep it trimmed in more next time and see how it performs.
Old 10-20-2022, 06:56 AM
Registered

when the water is too smooth (right?!) like glass. the boat 'sticks' to the water
We all like the predictability of glass smooth water but you are correct, it is the "slowest" surface type for V hull to operate. You need a little disturbance under that hull to free it up. A little chop aerates the hull and get's you moving.
Old 10-25-2022, 08:18 PM
Registered

Had the boat out again today for probably last run of the year. Had a couple people with me so didn't do anything too radical with it.

I got up to around 40 and ran very little trim but boat felt kind of loose when turning. I didn't turn very sharp either. I'm going to have to play around with it some when I'm by myself or with a willing passenger and with PFDs and lanyard hooked up. Going to winterize it tomorrow and when I do I'll put the drive down to neutral and see where my indicator is.

One factor may be that I haven't had a boat for a several years so maybe I'm just not used to it but I had my Baja 29 Outlaw for many years and that boat never felt squirrelly at all. I did have a lot of wheel time in it though and knew how it behaved. It was a straight hull twin and I could crank it hard in a turn and feel very confident as well as hard running in the Pacific.

Old 10-26-2022, 08:45 AM
Registered

I put the drive all the way down/in. I set my iphone on the dash pointed at the gauge, and call my wife's iphone with facetime so I can see the gauge while I'm at the back of the boat.
Set the gauge to 'zero' or the bottom line.

also verify your trim tilt switch, I THINK it's 24.5" but I would check that number via a bravo service manual. I don't trust that's the correct #.

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; 10-26-2022 at 08:51 AM.