Stuffed my 302

Notices
Formula

Stuffed my 302

Old 09-13-2003, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuffed my 302

I live next to lake Huron and the St Clair river, today while heading down river to the lake, I passed two large Carver yachts going one way and a loaded tanker going the other way. I was going about 30 mph and hit the wake of the one Carvers, no problem, passed the second Carver crested his wake looked down and it was like somebody removed a thirty foot section of water about nine feet deep. My boat nose dived, started to rise again when the wave hit. It covered my deck by two to three feet of water almost ripping me out of the boat. A rouge wave I guess? Lucky I was by myself with no kids on the back seat! The only damage was my windshield which exploded glass over me. Im hoping someone has a front (both sides) windshield they want to sell as my frame is mangled. I will post some pix tomorrow. Thanx, Andy.....
Old 09-13-2003, 10:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad that you are still here to tell us about it.

Formula used two different windshields on the 302, depending on the year. I think the change happened around 1984.

As you reflect on this, if you think of anything you might do different next time, please share it with us. You might prevent someone else from having the same thing happen to them.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:55 PM
Registered

I would do everything the same. I wasn't out wave jumping and passed over the Carvers wake about 100 feet behind him. It was just a freak wave. Quite a wierd sensation going from sunny and dry to dark and wet in a blink of an eye. My windshield is the two piece flat one with flat side panels.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the 302's had flat windshields, but the earlier ones had a sharper angle where the two front pieces meet, similar to a fountain's. The later one's were more strait across, or had a flatter angle where the two front pieces met. the wings may be the same on both, I'm not sure.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:14 AM
Registered

Mine looks like Cudas
Attached Thumbnails Stuffed my 302-andyboat6.jpg  
Old 09-14-2003, 10:17 AM
Registered

sorry for the crappy pix that doesn't show much. This is Cudas mine has the same approx angles.
Attached Thumbnails Stuffed my 302-cockpit.jpg  
Old 09-14-2003, 11:20 AM
Banned

Wow, glad to hear everyone is ok. There is a guy down here that stuffed a 38 Formula a couple years ago. He wasn't going fast either. He was knocked out and all the people were cut up from the windsheild. He said he was thankful it was cool and they had windbreakers on to save them from worse cuts. You might consider building a fairing like Audiofn did.
Old 09-14-2003, 07:46 PM
Registered

I came about one eighth of an inch from stuffing "Outlaw" in Tampa Bay last summer. Came off a wake by an oil freighter that was maybe 3 miles away. Scared the chit out of me. Same thing, just rolling along minding my own business then the bottom just dropped out. I never saw it coming. Just "bam". Nobody got hurt, but it sure scared me.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

That's why I prefer to JUMP the wakes. Usually carries you over the big dropouts.

YEEEE HAWWW!

(glad you weren't hurt)
Old 09-15-2003, 07:02 AM
Registered

Sounds way too similar to an incident I had on my 26 Scarab a few years back...
Attached Thumbnails Stuffed my 302-boat5.jpg  

Quick Reply: Stuffed my 302

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.