silent thunder platform pics?

Notices
Formula

silent thunder platform pics?

Old 10-31-2003, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default silent thunder platform pics?

can anyone provide me with a picture of the backside of the silent thunder platform? wondering how the doughnuts/gaskets are attached to the platform.
Mine had been modied and was wondering how they origionally looked.
[email protected]

thanks
Rich
Old 11-01-2003, 07:20 AM
Registered

Somewhere awhile ago, in this Forum, there is a thread about a 311SR-1 for sale, and a thread about silent thunder platforms, there are photos of them in both. Probably been two, maybe three months ago, but if you look you'll find them.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:31 PM
Registered

Smile

I just bought a 1988 242LS and had to pull the Silent Thunder platform. Do you want know the placement of the gaskets or how to attach them?

Last edited by FirstFormula; 11-01-2003 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-02-2003, 01:41 AM
Registered

I need to know what holds the doughnuts in place so I could match the origional set up as good as possible.
the platform on my boat had gotten hot (over heated hoses due to lack of water) and melted the back portion of the platform. trying to make sure I have as little of an exhaust leak as possible between the transome and platform.

Thanks
Old 11-02-2003, 07:39 AM
Registered

My "silent thunder" swim platform is up for sale but it won't help you guys cause mines off a 311-SR-1 which obviously has twins. Outlaw
Old 11-02-2003, 08:26 PM
Registered

That was the problem with my swim platform, exhaust coming out between the platform and the transom. We pulled the platform and had to replace the wood because it rotted out. The new gaskets had adhesive on them and we centered them around the holes in the swim platform, Then the large gasket went on the platform and we reinstalled it. I bought the boat from from a friend and he did all the calling to Formula and a Formula dealer in the Detroit area to ask about the gaskets and the glue they used on the swim platform.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The gaskets that seal the exhaust tips (called donuts) do not come with any adhesive on them. They are thick, fairly heavy-duty foam rubber type gaskets. To install, you should get use regular contact cement (rubber glue). apply glue to the flat face of the donut and apply glue to the corresponding location on the board where the donuts will go. Let the glue dry then stick the donuts to the board. There is no need to glue them to the transom, the clamping force of the bolts will suck them down tight.

The peripheral gasket that goes all the way around the board does have a pre-applied adhesive. This gasket is not an exhaust sealing gasket. This gasket keeps the transom-to-board interface dry (theoretically, so the wood won't rot out). So take your time with this gasket.

If you're rebuilding your board with new wood, you should do a fit-up of the board to the transom without any gaskets to make sure you have equal space all around the edge and at the donuts. If you have any high or low spots, the gaskets will not be evenly compressed and in no time, you're right back where you started!! This is critical to doing the job right. You may find that you need to rework the back surface of the board to make it conform nicely to the transom. Remember, the transom (and the back of the board) is not flat. It has a contour to it.

If you search in this forum (Formula) section, you find much information on this topic. I have posted several times on this topic. I have rebuilt and reinstalled two silent thunder boards. One on a 242 and one on a 311. I can probably help you with any questions. Good luck and take your time,,,,,make it nice!!
Old 11-04-2003, 07:57 AM
Registered

Thanks guys, as always you were a great help!!!!
Old 11-04-2003, 09:34 PM
merkruzer

i have a silent thunder from a 1997 271 collectng dust in my garage. I recently cut a hole in it where it bolts to the transom, for gel coat matchng (not visable).
Open to offers

Old 11-11-2003, 07:20 PM
Registered

Formula Outlaw What do want for your swim platform?Do you have any picks to show me? What kind of condition is it in? How come you removed it? And last, has it been modify inside for exhaust? Propwash.

Quick Reply: silent thunder platform pics?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.