docking light bulbs?

Notices
Formula

docking light bulbs?

Old 04-29-2004, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default docking light bulbs?

I have a bulb out on the port side and was wondering if I can get a replacement at an automotive store or do I have to order it from a Formula dealer? If my boat wasn't 45 minutes away, I would look for myself. I keep forgeting about it when I'm actually down there!
Old 04-29-2004, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ones in my 85 Formula have "GE" and "fog" cast into the glass lens. Therefore, I doubt they are marine, and can be gotten most anywhere.
But, if someone with authority says otherwise, believe them.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:33 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dawiz,
Good topic, I've got one blown also. These are the Morse docking lights, right?

I believe they are sealed beams like older style car headlights. But, they're smaller than regular car headlights.

I'd like to get some new ones that are regular "spots" rather than floods. I want more range out of them. Thought I'd try Morse on the net.

Anyway, lets keep each other up to speed on this.

Dave.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:22 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those bulbs are sold already in the round ball you see in you light. It is possible to relace just the bulb by prying the two piece ball apart for CONSIDERABLY less
Old 05-01-2004, 01:12 AM
Registered

i had one bad and just replaced both. they were GE flood. i put in wagner halogen spots. they look good on the wall in the shop but hadn't got a chance to try them out on the water. i got them at the local auto parts.......
Old 05-01-2004, 05:49 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Liquid Fix
i had one bad and just replaced both. they were GE flood. i put in wagner halogen spots. they look good on the wall in the shop but hadn't got a chance to try them out on the water. i got them at the local auto parts.......
So, they're not sealed beams like older car headlights??
You can just buy a bulb? Man, it doesn't look that way to me. Looks like you gotta get the whole glass part. Help me out here, are we talking the same thing?

And Liquid, did you have the option of flood or beam, or just flood?
Old 05-01-2004, 07:49 PM
Registered

I checked mine today and I don't think I can replace just the bulb. There is a rubber piece that has 2 wires permanently "sealed" to it with some sort of caulking. I called a Formula dealer and he said the piece was $10! I told him I would send a photo via e-mail to make sure its the right piece. That seems too cheap!! I'll let you know what I find out.

Last edited by dawiz74; 05-01-2004 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:02 PM
Registered

Originally posted by dawiz74
I checked mine today and I don't think I can replace just the bulb. There is a rubber piece that has 2 wires permanently "sealed" to it with some sort of caulking. I called a Formula dealer and he said the piece was $10! I told him I would send a photo via e-mail to make sure its the right piece. That seems too cheap!! I'll let you know what I find out.
Any response from Formula yet?
Old 05-03-2004, 06:31 PM
Registered

i did have the option to buy flood or spot. i choose to try the spots to see if they would light the dock up better then the floods. the bulbs were $8 each.
mine looked like they were sealed to. the light was mounted in a rubber "boot" that is hosed clamped to the plastic thru hull housing. once you remove the hose clamp to get the boot off you can snap the light out of the boot. it wasn't easy but it did come apart.
when you put the new bulb in use wd40 on the light and boot and it will slide back togather easier then it came apart. the hardest part was working by myself and getting the bulbs oriented to where the beams looks equal. (kinda hard to describe). fogs can go in upside down or sideways were spots need to be straight. hope this helps.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:53 PM
Registered

Yeah, helps a lot!!!

Where did you get the replacement bulbs??

Quick Reply: docking light bulbs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.