Upgraded Motors?????

Notices
Formula

Upgraded Motors?????

Old 08-18-2004, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgraded Motors?????

I am looking into upgrading my HP 500 EFI 382 Fastech motors. There are alot of options out there, including after market engines. I do not want to change the engine hatch (blower scoops etc.) but would like to top out at around 90. I am currently running TCM platinum XZ drives.

I was just wondering what anyone else has done to upgrade their Formulas. What model of Formula, what kind of speed or midrange torque. What drives, props, whose motors, procharger or whipple etc.....

Thanks for the help
Old 08-18-2004, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink Re: Upgraded Motors?????

My advise for what it's worth is to stick with the stock power as long as you can stand to. There may eb a few more things you can do with props, extension boxes, etc. etc. to get some more speed with the same engines. There's a lot to be said for the reliability of stock Merc power.

Now, if you want to trade your two stock 500s for my two blown 454s we can talk.
Attached Thumbnails Upgraded Motors?????-55842718_6.jpg  
Old 08-19-2004, 06:50 PM
Registered

Default Re: Upgraded Motors?????

Bford1 , Did You Have To Modify The Underside Of Your Hatch To Accommodate The Installation Of Your Pro Chargers ? This Modification Might Be In My Near Future And I Was Just Wondering . How Dependable Are They Also ?
Thanks Chris
Old 08-19-2004, 06:57 PM
testdrv321

I think Whipple has a bolt on supercharger with modified EFI that does not raise the engine's top height.

Old 08-21-2004, 12:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by FORMULA 357 SR-1
Bford1 , Did You Have To Modify The Underside Of Your Hatch To Accommodate The Installation Of Your Pro Chargers ? This Modification Might Be In My Near Future And I Was Just Wondering . How Dependable Are They Also ?
Thanks Chris
I have a similar setup on my 311 which is 454's w/ B&M 174 blowers. The Gafrig flame arrestors hit the mirrors on mine, so I put spacers on the rear hatch brackets to help. Mine have been pretty dependable with reasonable boost (max 5-6 lbs).
Old 08-21-2004, 04:34 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jaybird
I have a similar setup on my 311 which is 454's w/ B&M 174 blowers. The Gafrig flame arrestors hit the mirrors on mine, so I put spacers on the rear hatch brackets to help. Mine have been pretty dependable with reasonable boost (max 5-6 lbs).
JB ... Hows that werk on your 311 ? ..kinda dependabe ? any problems ?
Old 08-21-2004, 05:56 AM
Registered

"Mike wants to go faster,
Mike wants to go faster"
Old 08-21-2004, 06:35 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Damnit ...
Old 08-21-2004, 08:01 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I am not sure how fast you are going now but to reach 90 you would have to super charge or cignificantly change your engines.

If you have enough $$$ my choice would be take out the 500's and replace them with a proven package from some one like Paul Pfaff Eickert ect... If you are unhappy with the higherperformance engines (or boat) swap them back out. This way you could sell the boat with the stock power.

If you have to mod these engines get with a good engine builder and have them reccomend a setup, Whipples are popular but regardless of what whipple tells you you will need too put better head gaskets on. The engines should come out be modified then dyno tuned. This can be done in the boat but it is MUCH easie and better to take them out.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hot Water,

I thought you were going to see the 382!

I have 650 H.P. Sterlings in my 382 with extension boxes and unlabbed 28 bravo's running 83-85 m.p.h. @ 5400 r.p.m. I could probably pull a few more m.p.h. with some prop work, but just don't want to drop the $$$ right now.

I would stay with your stock power unless you have a problem in your motors. Once you start putting bigger power through any Bravo with a boat this heavy, it will be inevitable that the drives will become an issue.

Quick Reply: Upgraded Motors?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.