Onboard Battery Charger Question... >

Onboard Battery Charger Question...

Notices
Formula

Onboard Battery Charger Question...

Old 10-20-2004, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Onboard Battery Charger Question...

Okay, I've got a Guest 15 amp battery charger mounted on the firewall in the engine compartment. Bought a connector and hooked up the shorepower to turn on the battery charger. Battery charger was humming along in "d minor". The little red light was on. After two days, both batteries still stone dead.

According to the wiring diagram I've got the charger is supposed to be wired directly to the batteries. I looked tonight and I can't see any wire connected directly to the batteries that could be from the battery charger. So I'm inclined to think for some reason it's been disconnected though I can't think of why someone would do that. Anyway, now I've got both my "auto" battery chargers on it and they are charging away.

Anyone got any idea of how it could be hooked up differently, or is it possible the charger can be making that humming noise and not worked correctly. I've got battery chargers that I bought in the late 70's that still work great, although not in a marine enviroment.

Any ideas???

P.S. Cuda, thanks for letting me know you can "muckle" that hatch cover up enough to get in there, I've got an empty kitty litter container holding it up.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Onboard Battery Charger Question...

you better cut that slot in the hatch lift ! ....Sounds like the charger was eliminated at some time ....you know after we talked the other day ....dont all formulas have the 12volt accessory plug in the dash ? They make small 1/2 amp chargers for those ...would be slow ....but hell Russ .....whats the rush ??????????
Old 10-20-2004, 07:21 PM
Registered

Mike, I was answering your post as you were answering mine. LOL. Cuda told me to just muckle on it and I was able to raise the hatch about sixteen inches, enough to get two "auto" battery chargers hooked up, now charging fine.

Outlaw should be up and running by next weekend. As long as Eddie Marine sends me the right brackets.

I wired in a second accessory plug. I want the "onboard" charger to work though, would make things easier. Guess I get to go wire chasing. Oh boy, oh boy.

OH yeah, almost forgot , LEAVE THE BOX OFF.....lol Russ
Old 10-20-2004, 10:31 PM
Banned

Are the batteries coming up on the automotive chargers?
Old 10-20-2004, 10:54 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a terminal strip on each side of the boat right over the batteries. My charger is connected there , not directly to the battery. You might want to check the connections.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:31 AM
Registered

Cuda: yes the batteries are coming "UP" just fine. Thanks again for telling me to just yank that sob up to get inside.

Mo: I have terminal strips also but appears to be ONLY a GROUND terminal strip, no positive ones. I will double check however. Thanks for the input.

I've never had a charger that "sounded" like it was working, and wasn't. That's why I'm thinking that some rubberhead disconnected it for some reason. I have some "cut" wires in my engine compartment with no idea where or what. I know a couple of them were wired to the low "drive oil" alarm which of course doesn't work. So that is something I keep constant track of, but never had a problem except when the prop seals crapped out. That and when the original resevoirs started leaking and had to replace with the newer style. Keep you posted. Thanks. Russ
Old 10-21-2004, 08:24 AM
Banned

You might want to go ahead and wire some leads from your batteries to under your back seat.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cuda
You might want to go ahead and wire some leads from your batteries to under your back seat.

That's not a bad idea, at least that way I could use my "auto" chargers from the cockpit until I can repair/replace/rewire the onboard charger. Good thinking there Cooderman.....R
Old 10-21-2004, 09:37 AM
Banned

That's why I make the big bucks!
Old 10-21-2004, 11:24 AM
Registered

If I rember correctly on my 302 you had to have the battery switches in the on position in order for them to charge.

Verify that with Cuda because he's got the boat now and Rumplemintz has killed my long term memory

Quick Reply: Onboard Battery Charger Question...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.