Slight snag in exhaust swap out

Notices
Formula

Slight snag in exhaust swap out

Old 10-27-2004, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight snag in exhaust swap out

Everything WAS going rather smoothly. Got the old manifolds off the port motor no problem. Then on the starboard motor, a bolt snapped off and one head is just two rounded off to remove, SO the motor has to come out. Luckily I have someone who is extremely capable helping me on this. At some point next week will take the boat up to his shop to pull the motor and continue.

Had to have an unexpected skin cancer surgery Monday afternoon (# 32) so I can't use my arm at all right now. Sucks. Can't work either. Sucks more.

Then I notice that the outlet on the new EMI Thunder riser comes out at a much more downward angle than the stock Merc units. Looks like I'm going to have to put a spacer in AND make up a slight "elbow" so that when the hose comes off the riser I can "straighten" it out to run back to the holes in the transom. There is very little drop in the stock system.

I don't think there is a "flexible" exhaust hose out there that would bend that much and still hold up. Anybody know of one????

Got my new tips today but they came with an "angled" flange and I need a straight flange, so have to swap those also. It is coming together though. Just don't know if I can have it ready for the "Cuda Cruze", but it'll definitly be in the water long before New Year's Day.

And yes Cuda, that means before New Year's Day "05"....LOL
Old 10-27-2004, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Slight snag in exhaust swap out

how bout this ? Flexible .......oh and go back with SS bolts .. ARP ...

http://www.arp-bolts.com/
Attached Thumbnails Slight snag in exhaust swap out-resize-dsc00026.jpg  

Last edited by offthefront; 10-27-2004 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
Everything WAS going rather smoothly. Got the old manifolds off the port motor no problem. Then on the starboard motor, a bolt snapped off and one head is just two rounded off to remove, SO the motor has to come out. Luckily I have someone who is extremely capable helping me on this. At some point next week will take the boat up to his shop to pull the motor and continue.

Had to have an unexpected skin cancer surgery Monday afternoon (# 32) so I can't use my arm at all right now. Sucks. Can't work either. Sucks more.

Then I notice that the outlet on the new EMI Thunder riser comes out at a much more downward angle than the stock Merc units. Looks like I'm going to have to put a spacer in AND make up a slight "elbow" so that when the hose comes off the riser I can "straighten" it out to run back to the holes in the transom. There is very little drop in the stock system.

I don't think there is a "flexible" exhaust hose out there that would bend that much and still hold up. Anybody know of one????

Got my new tips today but they came with an "angled" flange and I need a straight flange, so have to swap those also. It is coming together though. Just don't know if I can have it ready for the "Cuda Cruze", but it'll definitly be in the water long before New Year's Day.

And yes Cuda, that means before New Year's Day "05"....LOL
I would hope you would be ready by New Years day, wouldnt that be year!!!

If I get back to work soon, and hustle my skinny azz off, I may just have a little sumthin' with green eyes on it ready for New Years day!!!!
Old 10-27-2004, 09:20 PM
Registered

Mike, where did you get that flex hose????? I guess you must be using that huh???? Definitely getting all new SS bolts everywhere. I am so psyched about finally getting that "board" off. Love the clean look of the transom with no silent thunder box on it.

RV best of luck with the "girl with green eyes"....;Yes, last New Year's Day was the last real time out. Cuda can tell you how many days it's been.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:56 PM
Registered

Got it at a Deisel Supply place ...9.00 a foot ...it is 4" I.D. ..pipes are 4" O.D. slides right over ...I think its going to be fine ...
Old 10-28-2004, 05:32 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coat all the bolt threads with anti-seize compound. Next time they need to be pulled you won't have any break.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:21 AM
Registered

Mike, what is that hose originallly used for? Got a name for that diesel supply place, I'm not having much looking letting my fingers doing the walking.

Iggy, yeah I know about the anit-sieze compound, have had the same tube for years, always grease the propsplines with it. And it NEVER comes out of clothing. Thanks.....
Old 10-28-2004, 07:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by offthefront
how bout this ? Flexible .......oh and go back with SS bolts .. ARP ...

http://www.arp-bolts.com/

Mike, are those black things your original tips? Mine were "normal" looking, just extremely short, only extended an inch past the transom. Russ
Old 10-28-2004, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

Just to let you guys know the flex pipe seen in the picture above does not seal very well. It is made by many different companies. I am a Mechanical Engineer for Donaldson Company Inc which makes this product P/N P226146 and other Diesel exhaust products. I have used it on many tests and have found that exhaust will leak through this pipe. So if exhaust can get through I know water will also leak through. Just thought you should know.

Don
Old 10-28-2004, 03:45 PM
Registered

Don .. thanks for the info ...there is only about 3 inches of the flex past the solid pipe ...Not sure if that would help or not ..I did find a guy today that can "roll" stainless any size I need ...that way I could slide a solid piece over the exhaust ...the problem with that is clamping it down ...

Quick Reply: Slight snag in exhaust swap out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.