Reupholstering the rear bench seat on a Fastech >

Reupholstering the rear bench seat on a Fastech

Notices
Formula

Reupholstering the rear bench seat on a Fastech

Old 12-03-2004, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Reupholstering the rear bench seat on a Fastech

I have new Formula vinyl for the rear bench seat bottom on my '99 271 Fastech, (thanks Magicfloat!). Now here's the question, how do I get the carpeted bottom board off to get to the staples?

I found four bolts that would have been on the bottom front (under the hinge), but there are obviously more screws, bolts or fasteners holding that carpeted board onto the bottom, hiding the staples, that I can not locate.

Any help or pictures would be great.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:33 PM
Registered

Default Re: Reupholstering the rear bench seat on a Fastech

I too am reupholstering the rear bench seat on my 89' 272. It is my understanding that the bench set-up is almost the same. The vinyl and padding are attached to 1/2 marine ply or similar which sit on top of the "hinged" carpeted (storage side) base. I had to take some time to locate all the screws on the carpeted side to free up the cushions. As far as I know, there should be no screws under the hinges. Hope this helps. I can email pic's if needed.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:59 PM

Thanks mtg, I assumed there were more to find, but they hide very well in the carpet. I will look again when I can take it out in teh sun for better light.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mtgbiker
I too am reupholstering the rear bench seat on my 89' 272. It is my understanding that the bench set-up is almost the same. The vinyl and padding are attached to 1/2 marine ply or similar which sit on top of the "hinged" carpeted (storage side) base. I had to take some time to locate all the screws on the carpeted side to free up the cushions. As far as I know, there should be no screws under the hinges. Hope this helps. I can email pic's if needed.
You having the covers made or rhey still available ?
Old 12-04-2004, 06:28 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did my 272 a few years ago. There were screws thru the plywood from the underside that went into the plywood backer on the cushion. Also the front most cushion had some of the screws from the hinges holding it too
Old 12-06-2004, 09:03 AM
Registered

Offthefront....I can't say if Formula has replacement vinyl. I used a local marine reupholster'er whom matched the vinyl, sewed the covers, used new high density foam and re-stapled the covers back to the original wood backing.

She also reupholstered the entire sun pad including the head bolster. She charged me $500 for the whole job! I'm very pleased with the price and the workmanship...I mean "womenship"!
Old 12-06-2004, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mtgbiker
Offthefront....I can't say if Formula has replacement vinyl. I used a local marine reupholster'er whom matched the vinyl, sewed the covers, used new high density foam and re-stapled the covers back to the original wood backing.

She also reupholstered the entire sun pad including the head bolster. She charged me $500 for the whole job! I'm very pleased with the price and the workmanship...I mean "womenship"!
Holy Crap ....great deal ....any pics ?
Old 12-06-2004, 09:51 AM

Were the screws through the carpet or were they just through the plywood, under the carpet? It appears that the grey carpet is loose in the middle portion of the bottom but that plywood is still connected to the cushions.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boatinbill
Were the screws through the carpet or were they just through the plywood, under the carpet? It appears that the grey carpet is loose in the middle portion of the bottom but that plywood is still connected to the cushions.
Screws go right thru the carpet, heads hide well in that carpet. We did a 242 last summer and there WERE screws under the hinge. Just keep digging around, you'll find 'em all.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offthefront
Holy Crap ....great deal ....any pics ?
I can shoot some pic's tonight. I finished installing the new pads yesterday. The lid is still in my shop on work horses. The bench pads are mounted in the boat. I will need 2 buddies to help me install the sun pad/ engine hatch, so I'll have to wait until this weekend!
My 272 is white with Cadet blue, black and grey accents. I changed the grey vinyl pad closest to the hatch hinges to white. So from the back of the boat the colors go: White, Black, White, Blue and all White head bolster. I think it looks sweet.

Quick Reply: Reupholstering the rear bench seat on a Fastech

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.