SR 357 Floor Panel in Cockpit

Notices
Formula

SR 357 Floor Panel in Cockpit

Old 12-09-2004, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SR 357 Floor Panel in Cockpit

There's afloor panel in the center of the cockpit that runs from the cabin door all the way to the engine compartment bulkhead (even under the rear seat).

I'm pretty sure that panel covers the fuel tank.

It seems like the seam around that panel should be sealed and it also appears that the water from the fuel tank area drains into the area under the step in the cabin.

Does that area really drain under step?

What's best way to seal that seam without making a nightmare or or maintenance problem ??

Poorsche

www.boatmat.com
Old 12-09-2004, 11:54 AM
Don Adams

Default Re: SR 357 Floor Panel in Cockpit

i have a 1991 357 sr1 and the panel is sealed with a clear silicone sealer from the factory. find son clear Lexol in a caulking tube and will look fine .I assume you don't have a carpet in yours. I like mine without the carpet but my wife says it is hard on her feet.

Old 12-09-2004, 12:18 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info--I agree that the floor with that non-skid pattern is more than tough on bare feet--even worse when working or cleaning and have to sit on the stuff or kneel on it---but carpet seems like an even worse nightmare--kind of like what's in the carpet in a hospital !!
Old 12-09-2004, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's like my 302, that's exactly what it is. Recaulking is very easy, espically with two people. It's going to take about 2 tubes of caulk, a cup of water, bunch of papertowles, and a rounded plastic West Epoxy "popcycle stick". Fill the seam with silicon, until it is slightly lower than the the floor. Take the wetted popcycle stick and run in the seam smoothing out the caulk. This makes a mess, so wipe the stick often and rewet with water. Any voids in the caulk, simply add more and resmooth.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:59 PM
Registered

Again--thanks for additional info---it seems like when I wash cockpit that sump under cabin step gets a lot of water in it--seems to me like there must be a drain from that fuel tank area into that area under step--anyone able to confirm that?
Old 12-10-2004, 12:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Poorsche
Again--thanks for additional info---it seems like when I wash cockpit that sump under cabin step gets a lot of water in it--seems to me like there must be a drain from that fuel tank area into that area under step--anyone able to confirm that?
I thought the sump under the step was connected to the bilge through the two tubes that are glassed in on each side of the center stringer and end at the front bulkhead in the engine compartment. I think the fuel tank area does not have a drain. Audiofn can confirm this. He has had his completly apart (I am assuming the 357 and 302 is built the same way).
Old 12-10-2004, 01:55 AM
Registered

From what I've found so far the sump does have two extremely small holes in glass and is used for a/c condensate drain -- it also seems to get water from somewhere else. It seeme d to me to be related to water coming in when I wash the cockpit down.

I keep the bilge as dry as possible so I didin't think that was source.

Thanks for info--
Old 12-10-2004, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is quite interesting!! My area under the cabin step fills with water also. Boat is always kept dry except for the too-often drenching of rain from our wonderful UpState New York weather. I thought the water was coming from a leaking windshield seam. However, there is no tell-tail of leakage down the dash or bulkheads.

So, I checked for drain holes in that under-step sump area..............none found. If it is coming from leakage around the cockpit floor hatch, I can't see a connection to the under-step sump area. Its got me baffled. Drives me nuts too. Can't stand water in my boat!!!!!

Plus, its a pain to dry up and clean out. Only way is to get in there with a sponge and suck it up.

Bryanw thinks there are drians in that sump. Maybe mine are filled with chit. I'll have to check again.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:55 PM
Registered

I'll take another look at mine tomorrow and make sure I saw small holes on either side of "keel". Mine gets water in it and like I said only explanation I've come to is from fuel tank area.

I got one of those condensator devices to dumpt the a/c condesate overboard with the a/c cooling water so that does't go under that step anymore.

I use a turkey baster to get the last slosh of water out of there--

Poorsche
Old 12-10-2004, 07:57 PM
Registered

I have the same problem. Know idea where it comes from but I installed a step down pump with a float to take care of the water. I hate the idea of water in there. I am really interested to here where the culprit is an how to fix it.

Quick Reply: SR 357 Floor Panel in Cockpit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.