Onboard battery charger question.... >

Onboard battery charger question....

Notices
Formula

Onboard battery charger question....

Old 02-08-2005, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Onboard battery charger question....

On my 311, when I plug the Shorepower in and turn on the battery charger switch in the cabin, what position do I put the battery switch in?

Off

1 to charge battery #1

2 to charge battery #2

Or BOTH to charge both at once.

I can't get a straight answer from Formula.

This is the 1000th Thread in the Formula Forum:

Old 02-08-2005, 10:53 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Onboard battery charger question....

My 1989 272 , I can leave the battery switch off. The charger is wired to the panels over the batteries where the short cables connect to the longer ones that go to the switch.
Connect a voltmeter to a battery , then turn on the charger (with the bat. sw. off) see if it charges
Old 02-09-2005, 06:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mopower
My 1989 272 , I can leave the battery switch off. The charger is wired to the panels over the batteries where the short cables connect to the longer ones that go to the switch.
Connect a voltmeter to a battery , then turn on the charger (with the bat. sw. off) see if it charges

Actually thought of that but my circuit tester got drowned in water and haven't replaced it yet. Guess it's a trip to the hardward store or Radio Shack.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:49 AM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

You should be able to charge in the Off position unless something has been changed from the original wiring. Darryl at Formula Tech Assistance would be able to tell you exactly how it is wired.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:16 PM
Registered

Thanks guys......
Old 02-09-2005, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I would think the battery charger would have 2 outputs ....one for each battery and would somehome be routed directly to each batery . either physically to the positive terminal or electrically ... the battery switches should have nothing to do with it ..... I think ...
Old 02-09-2005, 08:20 PM
Registered

I got up inside tonight after dark and from what I could tell with a flashlight, it appears that there are wires going from the battery charger to the "panel" mounted right above the batteries on the hullside that the batteries wire to.

Seems like it would charge both batteries and like you said Mike, it appears the switch has nothing to do with it. Will hook the shorepower up and give it a shot.

Mike, I had an idea.......get a "labelmaker" and put "calm" on your tab indicator when they are "up" and "rough" for when they are down....
Old 02-09-2005, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Seems I remember your Stock Charger didnt work when the batteries were dead and you needed the hatch up ? My boat has an automobile type charger under the rear seat and its direct wired to both batteries ...and AC is plugged into shore power ... I leave it on 2 amp all the time ...when we pull in the slip its one of the first things I do ... plug in shore power .. I leave a small fan in the cabin on all the time to circulate air ....Also been leaving the frig on all the time ....we keep it stocked and drinks are cold when you leave the dock ...PLUS ... my theroy is that the Frig running all the time generates heat in the cabin and tends to keep moisture down .

now about the Tabs .... first I need to remember which is tabs and which is drives .. it can get scary but I'm doin better. ...
Old 02-09-2005, 09:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offthefront
Seems I remember your Stock Charger didnt work when the batteries were dead and you needed the hatch up ? My boat has an automobile type charger under the rear seat and its direct wired to both batteries ...and AC is plugged into shore power ... I leave it on 2 amp all the time ...when we pull in the slip its one of the first things I do ... plug in shore power .. I leave a small fan in the cabin on all the time to circulate air ....Also been leaving the frig on all the time ....we keep it stocked and drinks are cold when you leave the dock ...PLUS ... my theroy is that the Frig running all the time generates heat in the cabin and tends to keep moisture down .

now about the Tabs .... first I need to remember which is tabs and which is drives .. it can get scary but I'm doin better. ...

LOL....

My charger is mounted on the firewall in the engine compartment, just the center side of the starboard trim tab pump. No multiple settings, it's wired to a switch above the fridge and it's either on or off. The reason I didn't know if it was working or not before because those two batteries were absolutely stone dead. Now with two new batteries I am hoping it will work.

I've never even turned on my fridge, have no idea if it even works or not. I'm thinking seriously about taking it out. I just use the good ole Coleman cooler. Guess I oughta find out if it works or not first, huh,,,,duhhhhh........

Remember the trim tabs are the little paddle looking thingies mounted near the outside edge of the back of the transom, and the drives have those propeller things on the bottom of them.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:43 AM
Registered

Just a thought--be careful with automitive charger in marine enviorment. They are missing somesafety featues and some electrical features that are necessities. They can cause severe electrolysis problems and you can have a pair of outdrives and k-planes destryoed in days in extreme situations. I had it happen becuase one was installed on boat in next slip so I be an "exspurt" --

Quick Reply: Onboard battery charger question....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.