Notices
Formula

Formula 311 Values ?????

Old 03-22-2005, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Formula 311 Values ?????

Originally Posted by QUIKDECISION
I have an 88 f-311. I would agree with the folks above. You can find them priced from about 35k and up. 40K seems to the going price now. A survey is definitely money well spent. I think that when you first get a boat, you don't mind doing some work on it. It can be frustrating that what seemed like a small task can turn into a major project. You do want to be careful, on the other hand, these boats are tough to beat. They ride and handle awesome. I took Formula outlaws advice and obtained a set of hydromotive 24 pitch quad 4's. They were worth every penny. What kind of rig do you have to tow with?
I have a 2005 F150 4x4 with a 5.4 Triton. 300HP and I think something like 365# torque. Would this be sufficient, or am I pushing it there? The furthest I would be trailering would be around 25 miles. I just havent decided if I want to trailer it all the time, or rack store it. 31' is probably a bit more hassle than it worth, but some have told me otherwise.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:25 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jaybird
damn, everyone bustin' on the 311's with TRS! I agree that the Bravo is probably an easier sale, but definitely not a better drive than TRS having owned both. Mine works flawlessly. Not for sale right now though.
Jay - what took you so long!
Old 03-22-2005, 06:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by chuck21401
I always hear about "book value" but it has been pointed out to me that "books don't buy boats."
Well stated!!
Old 03-22-2005, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Busa, just to touch on a couple of points from above and your questions;

1) Having just redone engines, drives, interior etc all at once in summer of '03 I agree - what a feeling of accomplishment. Plus, the boat still gets compliments everywhere we go with it.

2) As far as the HP issue on the drives, if you are a little prudent with the sticks (i.e. don't holeshot it every time you accelerate) and don't practice a lot of big air the B1's are fine with 500hp. If you aren't skilled at the art of throttling a boat back when it leaves the water and matching prop speed to boat speed when it re-enters you will twist every shaft in the lower. That being said the TRS probably wouldn't take that abuse either. Not dogging on the TRS at all, I just like to keep things simple. The trannys are added weight and an extra expense to repair when they give up (not to mention it's very nice to sit down in front of my engines and work on them).

3) The F-150 may get up to speed well but the braking and handling may be a bit hairy. I towed mine for 2 years with a 1500 Suburban - glad I finally got my dually. Now, the wife can pull this thing home with no problem.

4) One more thing you can just about count on with a boat of this age - replacing exhaust manifolds. If its got the cast Merc pieces on it go ahead and figure in another $4K for exhaust and be done with it. The additional damage that can be caused from a leaky set of manifolds/risers is astronomical. Ask me how I know!

Whatever you buy, you'll certainly enjoy it and then you will eventually formulate (pun intended) your own opinion on drives, motors, crossovers, carbs, ignitions....
Old 03-22-2005, 06:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hayabusa200
Ok. Im back to being confused on what to do now. It sounds like the Bravos may be better, but considering both of these boats are pushing 500 HP per engine, would the TRS drives be better with these kind of numbers? Also the 90 with bravos are original with 600+ hours on them, and the 88 with TRS have been rebuilt with only 90 hours on the clock. Should these be factors in my decison?
Don't be confused! Just do your homework. It is hard to tell someone what to buy without having all of the details. I had a 302 w/trs great boat no problems with drives. I also had a 311 W/Kaama surface drives & Twin disc tranny's no problems great set up. Keep in mind that there are many more 311 Formula's out there. Especially if you are willing to travel.
Like many have already stated get a survey and have a mechanical inspection done on the boat before you close the deal. It will give you peace of mind. Patience is a virtue! Good Luck!!
Old 03-22-2005, 06:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hayabusa200
Ok. Im back to being confused on what to do now. It sounds like the Bravos may be better, but considering both of these boats are pushing 500 HP per engine, would the TRS drives be better with these kind of numbers? Also the 90 with bravos are original with 600+ hours on them, and the 88 with TRS have been rebuilt with only 90 hours on the clock. Should these be factors in my decison?

Don't feel bad, I've been "confused" for 40 plus years...

The Bravos will handle that horsepower fine, just don't do holeshots or hammer them hard out of the hole. That is where a drive takes it's hardest beating. Just run it easy up on plane and the Bravo's will be fine. I know guys who are running 600 plus HP on Bravos and as long as they take it easy getting out of the hole they're ok. Start hammering it with that HP and you'll be looking for a mechanic soon. It's as simple as that.

Things being somewhat equal, the Bravo boat will probably be a bit faster I would think. Better hydrodynamics, less overall weight. Have a mechanic check out the drives. I had to rebuild one of mine at 654 hours but it was kind of a freak thing. There is this little ten dollar metal "ring" that is spot welded to the clutch cone assembly that keeps everything in place. It broke off. Unfortunately, it comes as a complete assembly so I had to redo the entire upper end. I think it was just "one of those things" that happen once in a while.

Bottom line is that you need to decide what boat you feel most comfortable with. Good luck....Russ
Old 03-22-2005, 06:54 PM
Registered

Croozin, The 90 has Gil exhaust, so that sounds like a plus. The other Im not sure of.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:07 PM
Registered

One thing I learned for certain is that Formula owners seem to be a GREAT bunch of guys/gals, and I really do appreciate everyones input. If I had posted a question like this on the motorcycle forum that I belong to, I would have received a bunch of smart ass comments. Thanks again everyone.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mopower
Offthefront,
You got a gooooooooood lookin' boat
Gotta love that "party platform".....

I miss mine......NOT....

You don't see many 16 year old boats that shine like this.
Attached Thumbnails Formula 311 Values ?????-waxingboat-044-small-.jpg   Formula 311 Values ?????-waxingboat-046-small-.jpg   Formula 311 Values ?????-waxingboat-052-small-.jpg  

Last edited by Formula Outlaw; 03-22-2005 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:11 PM
Banned

I'd definetly go with the Bravo boat. I don't know if the Bravos are any better than TRS, but the perception is there, and perception in boats is reallity when you go to sell.

Quick Reply: Formula 311 Values ?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.