Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Trouble fueling??????? >

Trouble fueling???????

Notices

Trouble fueling???????

Old 02-29-2008, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can keep it from overflowing...

Just before the tank is topped off, the vent will start to gurgle for a few seconds before it overflows. So you can catch it if you're filling it on the trailer, but not so much dockside.

My 35 Classic did the same thing as my 42.

If you try to top it off after you hear the gurgling sound, it'll overflow.

And yes, I too have spilled my share of gas. If the vent line was a little bigger it would be bettter...but then more chance of getting moisture in the tanks.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Beak Boater
Its not the gauge, it is the design of the tank. They are in the shape of a v, to match the bottom of the boat. Im not sure there is a gauge in the world that will measure the tank level correct. Our new 38 has Smartcraft. When you set it at 0 gallons and run the boat what ever the gallons used show, it takes to fill it up. Pretty damn close. Within one gallon. Ran The Richmond Poker run last summer. Showed we used 99 gallons of gas. Went to fill it up and it took 99.8 gallons. Like already said when the gauge starts moving off full keep an eye on it. At a half of tank, know where the marinas are that sell gas. At a quarter of a tank, get the paddle ready
Randy - how many stops were on that poker run. I did the Central and the North run with the CBPBA and burned about 95 gallons on both runs with 496s - not 700s. What do you figure you are burning per hour on average? Sal told me that thing really hauls azz.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:45 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 27 and 32 both where a pain to fill. Gotta lsiten real close then slow down the fuel. Takes forever.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:24 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 35 fountain
Randy - how many stops were on that poker run. I did the Central and the North run with the CBPBA and burned about 95 gallons on both runs with 496s - not 700s. What do you figure you are burning per hour on average? Sal told me that thing really hauls azz.
35 their are three stops on the Jammin on the James poker run. A water stop, lunch stop, and the last one is at the hotel. Its about 90 miles one way. Not sure of the gallons per hour, but it gets about 1.4 miles to the gallon, unless you run it wide open then it drops down to .96 miles to the gallon. Did Sal get his Formula?
Old 03-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Wow, this is an old one. I did find the fix, I sold the '99 and bought an '06 Lightning. Problem cured .
My 05 still had that problem.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Beak Boater
Did Sal get his Formula?
Yes sir! Should be here in about 2 weeks!

You'll have to fill my need for speed!

We should be coming out to the Potomac as soon as we get a good weekend. I'll let you know when.

You'll see my Fountain out and about on the Potomac. The guy who bought it lives in Valley Lee.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:19 PM
Registered

my 2000 32 fever you really have 2 listen close to 2, the "gurgle"!!! or you will be cleaning up petro, i wait till it just starts to get faint and that is good enough were i boat. cheaper than letting it e-vap. that good chit.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Registered

My gauges read accurate on the 42 although when you hit 1/2 they will drop faster. Fueling is still an issue, cannot set pump at high flow, medium or slow will work.

I thought there is a way to adjust the fuel gauges if you run out at 1/4? Someone once said there is a white plastic cover under the bench that access adjustment for fuel gauge?
Old 03-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

My '99 was a PIA unless you went real slow. When we test drove the '06 we put fuel in it before launching, and I watched the process real close. Fuel in both sides at the same time, and they just ran it right in, no pukin' or spittin', worked fine. The boat was on the trailer and it was a gas station on land, might be different in the water. Some marine hoses and nozzles are larger and seem to pump at a higher volume, but so far seems to take fuel fine. The '99 was the same deal on the trailer as it was in the water. I had pulled both side panels on the '99 and all the hoses and vents seemed fine. Hopefully the new one will be the same once it is in the water, time will tell I guess.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper TT
Yes sir! Should be here in about 2 weeks!

BTW congrats on the new boat. Thanks for the prop info, I sent an e-mail to BBlades, waiting for a response, hopefully he will have the recipe saved.