Trim and Tab Question.... >

Trim and Tab Question....

Notices

Trim and Tab Question....

Old 06-20-2005, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trim and Tab Question....

What positions are you trimming out your boats and tabs when running WOT ? My tabs are all the way up in the 3 (as far up as they will go) position on the dash..........is that right or should they go all the way up to 0 ? What position do you guys trim the engines (in a fairly good condition 2 footers) Either I'm trimming it wrong or the boat (engines) has something wrong with it............I was WOT with a few passengers and maybe a half a tank of gas and could only get up to 74mph on the GPS..............from what I've been reading a 29' with Twin 502 EFI's should easily see the 80's. Also the engines are not idling at the same RPM's and when going through my canal at idle and the engines jump up in RPM's at times for no reason when idling in drive. However the boat seems to run really good, I don't hear anything funny and notice any type on power loss .....the water pressure seems to be around 20....oil pressure seems fine around 60psi.......I just want to hear what the Fountain Vets think......should I have the engines looked at or is that what I should expect ?

Last edited by Dago Racing; 06-20-2005 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Trim and Tab Question....

On our 35 Lightning 3.5 is neutral for us and by wot we are at 2 to avoid any friction and 2+ a tick to take out any dancing. Drives have come out to 5 depending on conditions.

Your oil/water pressures are on track.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At WOT, my tabs are all the way up, and if it's smooth to light chop, I run my drives at 6-7. Feels nice and loose there. 3.5 is neutral (level with running surface) on mine, too.

I'll only drag one tab slightly to make it fly straight due to wind or current forces. Anything more just slows me down.

The best thing to do is set things up on the trailer. Find your neutral position for both the drives and tabs, then take some red vinyl pinstripe tape and mark your neutral positions next to the arrows on your indicator panels.

This will tell you at a quick glance where things are at, and then adjust from there. RPM vs. speed is the best way to find your sweet spot. The seat of your pants will tell you the rest.

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by p4-33; 06-20-2005 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:31 PM
Registered

I have a 04 29 fever with the 525, its and a xr. I put a drive 1 inch drive spacer on it to help it come on plane and be more responsive aroud the docks. Now that the drive is deeper I dont have to use a much trim to get the bow to lift the prop works now. At wot I run the drives around 3 to 4 on the dash gauges and no tabs unless it is rough. If It gets to rough I trim the drive up more and drag more tabs to help settle the boat.

Terry
Old 06-20-2005, 08:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by p4-33
At WOT, my tabs are all the way up, and if it's smooth to light chop, I run my drives at 6-7. Feels nice and loose there. 3.5 is neutral (level with running surface) on mine, too.

I'll only drag one tab slightly to make it fly straight due to wind or current forces. Anything more just slows me down.

The best thing to do is set things up on the trailer. Find your neutral position for both the drives and tabs, then take some red vinyl pinstripe tape and mark your neutral positions next to the arrows on your indicator panels.

This will tell you at a quick glance where things are at, and then adjust from there. RPM vs. speed is the best way to find your sweet spot. The seat of your pants will tell you the rest.

Cheers,
Brian
6-7 ARE YOU SERIOUS????? I never trimmed that far......maybe that's why I'm not getting higher speeds.........I don't know..........is that bad on the outdrives???

Last edited by Dago Racing; 06-20-2005 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:03 PM
Registered

Trimming at 6 or 7 is very hard on stock drives/u-joints!!! I've seen a few drives/u-joints distroyed by over trimming. You should be able to bring those tabs all the way up to 0 neutral should be between 2-3 mine is just above two. When WOT I'll trim to about 4.5 anything more I start losing speed and boat gets really lose. Check your tabs on the trailer with them all the way up they should have a slight upward angle, hope this helps good luck.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:21 PM
Registered

I just bought a 1999 32 fever with 500 EFI s that were rebuilt to accept whipple superchargers (blower pistons, aluminum heads, etc.-I have all the old parts that have only 35 hours on them). These engines dynoed at 790 hp each. This boat will easily run 85. I have only trimmed my drives to "4" anything less drags the engines. I'm have not had the guts to bring the drives up further at WOT. My planes are also read "3" when they are up all the way must be a fountain issue. My biggest issue with the boat is it doesn't want to idle (it kills under 800 rpm) and is hard to dock-I'm going to change the spark plugs-maybe they are loaded up-it seems like the engines are running rich at idle. Otherwise it's a rocket and do those whipples scream!
Old 06-21-2005, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, we're back... I wasn't suggesting that 6-7 is where you folks should be running, just saying that's where MY boat performs best. Granted, mine is set up differently most of yours, running Konrad 540 drives and transom assys. On my setup, loose equates to more speed.

At full-out running trim, (6-7) I still have a significant chunk of the "ears" on my transom assys supporting the sides of my drives. I also have drive input shafts and ujoints that are 50% larger than most. My trim cyl pistons are also much fatter than standard Merc, and the lower cases with in-cast nosecones are modeled after racing outboard lowers.

You shouldn't exceed any speed that exceeds what you're comfortable with driving. Even less speed with respect to your passenger's comfort.

But when "testing" with a competent crew, ease into a flight attitude that nets the best speed vs. RPM results. If you feel your behind puckering up, you're close. If it turns warm and gooey, you've gone too far.

Cheers,
Brian
Old 06-21-2005, 03:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I keep the tabs completely up & run my trim up to 5-6 - Dago - just keep trimming up until the GPS speed starts to drop - You will figure out the sweet spot in a hurry. I would expect mid to upper 70's with your set up. What props & rpm are your turning? props turning in or out??? non stepped hull correct?
Old 06-21-2005, 05:59 PM
Registered

32 Fever, 502 Mags with stainless marine exhaust , crane cams , 27'' props , 5300 rpm's , tabs 2.5 , drives 4.5 - 5.0 = 83 mph on gps .

Quick Reply: Trim and Tab Question....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.