Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
What oil is everyone running >

What oil is everyone running

Notices

What oil is everyone running

Old 06-28-2005, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What oil is everyone running

Is Synthetic ok to run in a relativily stock 502 MPI, I am going to try to run a little thicker oil to combat the high oil temp and lower oil pressure. I am currently using Mercury oil
Old 06-29-2005, 12:21 AM
Registered

Default Re: What oil is everyone running

Synthetic 20w-50 Mobil v-twin oil. About the best on the market if not the best, all the right additives for marine protection. Read up on the different oils in the tech section, Hydro has all the anwsers!!!
Old 06-29-2005, 06:29 AM
Registered

Re: What oil is everyone running

I have been running Mobil 1 20w 50 for years. Whether it was a Blower motor or my stock Merc 525.

I change it and the filter every 15 hours....

Oil is the Life's Blood of the motor !!!!!!!!
Old 06-29-2005, 04:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

Mobil 1 15w50
Old 06-29-2005, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running Mobil1 15-50 Performance Formula. You can get it at Walmart in 5qt jugs for 23 bucks. They don't stock Mobil1 oil filters, so those come from Autozone.

I change mine every other race, probably 5-6 hrs run time. I'd like to try the 20/50 V-twin stuff, but with my frequency of oil changes, I need to get it at a reasonable cost, and the v-twin only comes in qt. bottles for something like $8 per bottle.

Hydrocruiser is the Man when it comes to oil. I think he blends it with bloody mary mix for breakfast.

Cheers,
Brian
Old 06-29-2005, 04:39 PM
Registered

I have run straight 40 valvaline for a long time and have no problems and have heard a lot of guys using mobil 1, I have a guy here that has a pair of 502's and runs Amsoil and his motors went over 1000 hrs. And he runs the hell out of it and changes the oil once a year.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:26 PM
Registered

I use to use mobil1 15-50 then switched to Royal Purple 20-50. some people say the stuff is to slippery for mild hyd roller cams[crane and Teague] but I have not noticed any problems
Old 06-29-2005, 08:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: What oil is everyone running

I like the Mobil-1 20W-50 even more now that I know it is moly free....moly is what makes an oil slick...Mobil decided to not use any as V-twins have wet clutches that may slip if moly is present...in the process they made us what I think may be the best Marine Synthetic oil to be had.

The lack of moly..a friction reducer.. and not an anti-wear additive.. is present to increase fuel economy...and nothing else really. Some manufacturers do not like heavy moly containing oils as moly is a "solid" and sulfur containing compound.

Mobil V-twin 20W-50 still has a base that takes the heat best of all synthetics; boron and ZDDP in heavier doses than the former Redcap; excellent detergency and dispersion agents along with an additive that leaves a long lasting coating to prevent dry starts after prolonged storage...oh and the price at Walmarts is down to $6.88/qt.

We are now hearing "teardown" stories that show main bearings look essentially unworn and new in appearance with those using this product. That is a direct indication that this oil will not thin out or shear down under heat and stress. Worn bearings result from broken down oil that could not handle piston shear and engine heat.

Adding some Marvel Mystery Oil Gasoline Additive to the gas in addition provides upper cylinder and valve protection and is a good idea unless your gas has Valvetech already in it.

That's the winning combo.

Amsoil 20W-50 and Redline 20W-50 are great but about $2.00+ more per qt now. Redline is heavy on the moly as is RP.

My feelings on an oil filter...may as well use an A/C 10-20 micron filter for $2.99 and not skimp on the oil. The best filters that trap 10 microns are the Mobil-1; Baldwin and Amsoil SD.

That is a years worth of going back and forth and the results were worth it. We have found the perfect combinations.

Now that auto oils are lacking in ZDDP they are junk for marine engines. Even some "racing" oils are cutting back along with straight weights....so I have to say if you are using conventional oil to stick with Mercury Oil as it has ZDDP in it per a call I made to them. You could use the synthetic blend Merc. if you don't want fully synthetic.

The choices are very limited...I am not saying to use 15W-50 Goldcap anymore because Bob's guys say it is shearing to a 10W-40 upon obtaining 1,000 mile UAO's. V-Twin won't shear. We now know Goldcap is going to be reformulated...Mobil is seeing this as well apparently.

Until the new Goldcap is out think V-Twin.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 06-30-2005 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:38 AM
Registered

Hydro,

You are, THE EXPERT, and have the last word.......

This is a great forum !!!!!!!!!

Thanks !!!!!!!!!
Old 06-30-2005, 03:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: What oil is everyone running

Originally Posted by DragonFire
Hydro,

You are, THE EXPERT, and have the last word.......

This is a great forum !!!!!!!!!

Thanks !!!!!!!!!
...I also feel Mobil-1 75W-90 is the gearlube to beat. A VI of 150 vs. Amsoil's 120 and it flashes at 480*F about 60 degress higher than Amsoil....too bad Amsoil didn't leave their Series 2000 alone and not reformulate it to the thnner stuff they have now...

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 06-30-2005 at 08:29 PM.

Quick Reply: What oil is everyone running

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.