Default Re: Shorties?

BTW mine is a 1995.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Hey Marginmn/Robert -

I followed the deal on your boat and BYW I like that paint job! ;0. Want a pair of fresh 500's in trade on those 525's?? LOL!! I'll give you a call on the phone some day. We should BS and catch up.

I'm really hoping that we can get all of this shortie information gathered up where we call all maybe learn something from this.

Say hi to the Mrs. from the both of us.

Peter
Good to hear from your Peter.

Have you ever seen that old Jimmie Stewart movie "Winchester 73?" The premise of the movie is that once in a Blue Moon a Rifle comes down the Winchester Factory line that is absolutely Perfect in every aspect - so much so that rather than sell it to the general public they let the best shooters compete for the honor of owning it.

People who know Fountains say that they have never seen a more perfect Fountain come of the production line than yours. I like the paint on my boat, but it just doens't lay as nice on the 38 as it did on the 35 ex. With it being my first Fountain, I just didn't really appreciate how well it was put together until I tried to find one just as nice - I'm still looking and none has even come close to it.

If you ever go to sell it, I don't no that I'll would be interested but I am pretty sure that Lorrie would be. She's still mad at me for selling it.

Last edited by Marginmn; 03-10-2006 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by jryan26
Damn. Do they make a -3 shorty??!
Imco makes a -3 but it won't bolt to the Merc drive, it only works with the imco upper.

If you want the best advice on what would work best on your boat call Fountain and ask for Marty or Chris in customer service. They will likely know where your boat's x will run best. You might also have your boat's Vin number handy when calling - they will have all the factory records on it.

252-975-2000
Old 03-10-2006, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks
Good luck with the v-10s
Old 03-10-2006, 10:41 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I have a pair of the IMCO Extremes for sale in the classifieds. Even with standard lenght, the lower alone may increase your speed. The drives could easily be converted to -2 lowers with a new case and shorter verticle shaft.

I'm in NJ, if you're interested let me know.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Ran-Dom 32
I tested a set of the -2 Sportmaster Lowers and seen 4-5 mph gain. I hoping to see a bit more using the imco or bravo shop lowers. My X Dim on my '99 is 16 3/4 which is basically 2" lower than the newer 35 X 's out there.
RAN DOM 32
From seeing other posts of yours I believe you run a single step 35 Lightning. Could you share how the boat handled with the -2 Sportmasters. What happened to tpo end RPM , and what different props you tested. I would be very interested in the handling comments, I love the way my 35 runs in rough water now and would not want to give up anything. By rough I mean three footers - good stiff wind chop.

To share some more info based on my setup - 99 single step 35 Lightning,stock and fresh 500 carbs,standard "X" dimension (not sure of exact measurement, but will check out in next few days). Props tested:

1 ) 26 Hydromotive 4 blades - rotating inward - stock - non lab : Shows 84 on speedo at 5350 - 5400 RPM. Boat planes well, but props will sonetimes slip when at real slow cruise. The faster you go the better they hook up, 3500 RPM on up they work fine. At speed they make the boat feel very solid, regardless of water conditions. On my last boat, a 32 Velocity - 525 SC's - std. Bravos - 97 to 98 MPH - the Hydro's acted the same. The low to mid range slip was a little more pronounced but went away as speed increased, lots more pitch on the old rig.

2 ) 28 Bravo 4 blades - rotating inward - stock - non lab : Shows 83 on speedo but at 4950 - 5000 RPM. On plane is easier, no slow cruise slip. Acceleration is a little slugish compared to the Hydros. Likely due to the increased blade area and the fact that the mid range slip of the Hydros allows the engine RPM to come up quicker. A fair running prop, good cruisers, but RPM too low and handling at speed is so so. Only run for a few hours one afternoon vs lots of time with the Hydros.

3 ) 27 Hydromotive 4 blades - rotating inward - not lab, but had blades thined out, sharpened, and tweaked by Hydromotive for the Velocity when I was running the 1.36 gear set up : Same program as the other Hydros. Slip, speed and RPM about the same all around deal .Except for whatever reason one liked to slip a little more than the other at those low cruise speeds. Back in the boxes for these.
4 ) 28 Bravos - rotating inward - Merc lab finished, not specific to this boat, just the standard lab deal from Merc Racing : Shows that same 84 on speedo at that same 5350 - 5400 RPM. On plane is best of all tested so far. No slip at slow cruise, can maintain on plane at the lowest speed of any tested. Mid range cruise at any given RPM shows higher speed than the stock 26 Hydros, have run both back to back and recorded speed vs RPM in 500 RPM increments from just on plane to WOT. Great props! Probably the best all around set run so far. Acceleration was right there with the Hydros also. But the boat does not feel as solid at speed as it does with the Hydros in rougher water. Loses that seat of the pants " On A Rail " feel. Maybe just me, or just my many years running the Hydros. But definetly feels like it moves around a little more in the rough stuff, not enough to make one put these back in the boxes, just enough to keep you looking. I have run these and the 26 Hydros about an equal amount of time an feel both sets have their plus and minus traits on this boat. I would give these Bravos a slight edge in the all around department, they are a real pleasure to cruise or hot rod in average water
So whats next ? This spring I want to try a set of 28 Hydros maybe with a little cup removed to keep the RPM's up at 5400. And would be game to try some 5 blades, Hydro or Merc if some more info begins to show up here to indicate they may help.I am also looking foreward to seeing what shakes out with this attempt to gather up some real good info on the " SHORTIE " deal. I think likely a set of Shorties are in the cards fo me, just waiting to sort out the pros and cons each brand. In order to make a " reasonably intelegent " decision on how to " stupidly " dispose of my money. Lets keep this going! Remember that by putting up what we have learned we can all benefit. This could end up being the cheapest speed you ever gain, testing lowers and props is not cheap for any of us.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw these in the classifieds.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-9357.html
Old 03-11-2006, 01:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they are sold
Old 03-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ragged Edge, good info - my advise to you is invest in shorties & a GPS - your speeds a bit high off the speedo. Imco or Bravo shop lower's seem to be faster than the sportmasters from the info I have gathered.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

prior to running the shorties, my boat ran best with 28 Bravo's labbed & diffuser ring cut. When I ran the sportmaster -2 lower, the only prop I got to try was a 30P labbed bravo. ( same RPM)

Quick Reply: Shorties?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.