Got Ilmors - Look at what's going to Power my 38

Notices

Got Ilmors - Look at what's going to Power my 38

Old 03-18-2006, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Re: Got Ilmors - Look at what's going to Power my 38

Originally Posted by blume
before you do that you might want to look at installing extension boxes. would be cheaper and faster?.......to late.

The transom slops down at an angle so putting Imco drives at the end of an extension box will result in them being deeper in the water, not higher. So if I wanted to run boxes -and have the same X as before the boxes were installed - I would have to first raise the drives up about an inch, which they are doing.

On the other hand, one could use Stelling boxes which are are adjustable. But the problem there is that Stelling uses a hard coupler to connect the engine and drive and that is very though on drive life. IMCO's use a soft coupler that is suppose to absorb some of the shock between the engines the the drives and thus they actually prolong drive life.

So if the X is too high after raising the drives I could go with -1 Imco shorties, spacers, or put Imco boxes on it. The spacers would be cheapest in the short run but I"ve heard that they too put extra strain on your drives. The 625's generate a lot of torque so I"m already worried about drive life before doing something that would add even more strain.

Maybe I luck out and the boat gets on plain even with the higher X, but that would be just too easy.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

may as well go ahead & stagger them

looks like they are doing a nice job.

just keep in mind, anything to do with a boat takes twice as long & twice the price, as planned... but it will be worth it.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by customryder

just keep in mind, anything to do with a boat takes twice as long & twice the price, as planned... but it will be worth it.
You know it, and I know it, I just dread the dead that my wife knows it
Old 03-19-2006, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you have plans for the motors that came out?i have talked to gellnar about a refresh or upgrade if you think your getting rid of them give me a little info and a price.just put new dash and all gauges plus all new interior wasn't planning on motors but plans can change.just curious thanks
Old 03-19-2006, 07:14 PM
Registered

I plan to sell them. I was only holding on them until I was sure the Ilmors would work in the boat. One of them has around 38 hrs on it and is under the Mercury warranty until dec of 06. The other has around 90 with fresh valve springs before I put it in the boat.

I'm thinking around $33k would buy the pair - includes headers. I also have a new near set of CMI silent choice systems that I no longer need. They won't work on my boat - and whatever exhaust tips I won't need for my new package.

What boat are you thinking about putting them in? What are your current motors?
Old 03-19-2006, 07:33 PM
Registered

You are going to love the Ilmors. I have had the Ilmors for over 2 years now and could not be happier. They perform flawlessly and the warranty is second to none. If you have any questions just give me a call. Steve @ 704-239-1410
Old 03-19-2006, 08:09 PM
Registered

Thanks a bunch Steve - I will probably take up up on that. I can't wait to try them out. It should only be a few more weeks.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ALL IN
do you have plans for the motors that came out?i have talked to gellnar about a refresh or upgrade if you think your getting rid of them give me a little info and a price.just put new dash and all gauges plus all new interior wasn't planning on motors but plans can change.just curious thanks

I put the 525's in the classifieds yesterday and someone put a deposit on them. Looks like they are sold.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:10 PM
Registered

Marginmn,

How is the install going...have any updated pics?
Old 03-31-2006, 08:40 PM
Registered

The install is going fine. I think the hardest part for them was determining exactly where to mount the engines. Once they completed that task they glassed up the transom and cut new holes for the drives and filled in the exhaust.

Right now they are in the process of moving my tabs. I am going to have the newer style long and straight tabs in a horizontal position vs the shorter tabs on an angle. In order to accommodate the new tabs they are having to move the steering plate. That involves more glassing and cutting new holes. It looks like a big termites had a field day on this thing.

They are going to ditch the silent choice system that I had with the 525's. I doubt I miss it much because the Ilmors are more quiet at idle, and after going through this trouble they deserve to be heard
Attached Thumbnails Got Ilmors - Look at what's going to Power my 38-dcp_3390.jpg  

Quick Reply: Got Ilmors - Look at what's going to Power my 38

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.